Analyses from Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the analyses from Butler Machinery in my e-mail today. They ran Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, Mobil 1 15w-50 Ext Perf, HD Syn 3 20w-50, and Mobil 1 MX4t 10w-40.
How do I go about posting the results, or getting them added to the site library?

You can email them to me. It may be 2 weeks before we get them posted. We are backlogged right now. But catching up.

cheers.gif

TOTALLY COOL!! STINKY, YOU'RE DA MAN!!!
grin.gif

Holy sheep-dip-guacomole~!! MOLY in the Mobil cycle oils--more moly in both cycle oils than is in the Mobil 1 15W50 "gold cap"~!

That's awesome information. That tells me that Mobil knows that moly won't hurt a wet clutch--at least in the amounts they put in there (91 ppm or so).

And check that LAME add pack on the 9 buck a quart HD stuff! Foolish purchase for those who are using it--no doubt about it.

This has been most revealing indeed. Thanks again, Stinky, for all the work you've done for "the cause."
smile.gif

Dan

This is great news, you've answered my question about running the new 15w-50 EP oil in my ZX-9R. Looks to be very similar to the old redcap and approximately the same amount of moly as the overpriced MB1 motorcycle oils. Thanks!!!

Thankyou Pococj!

This is big, big, big, news.

So many people will want to kiss your butt for this.

I already bought some EP15w-50 to run in my bike. I haven't put it in yet. But when I do I will be doing a UOA when done. Still waiting for the UOA from the last run on Spectro 4 to see...

That is excellent Stinky! Thankyou.

Not that I really understand the results. I know less moly is good.

This is excellent information. It now becomes clear that Shell Rotella T synth or dino is the way to go for those of us who cannot have moly in their oil.

I'm sure the Mobil researched the effects on moly in motorcycles prior to including that element in their cycle oils.

I think we must now assume that moly in smallish amounts (under 100 ppm, say) is not a problem for any motorcycle. Mobil recommends these oils for various motorcycles on the market--many of which have wet clutch systems which the engine oil bathes. Moly is apparently not the problem we have been led to think it is...

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
I'm sure the Mobil researched the effects on moly in motorcycles prior to including that element in their cycle oils.

I think we must now assume that moly in smallish amounts (under 100 ppm, say) is not a problem for any motorcycle. Mobil recommends these oils for various motorcycles on the market--many of which have wet clutch systems which the engine oil bathes. Moly is apparently not the problem we have been led to think it is...

Dan

Unfortunately, I don't think they did enough research on Moly. Why do I say that? Because I can not use the electric starter on my motorcycle when I use MX4T 10w-40, because the starter clutch just spins and doesn't grab. I ended up switching to Motul for a while until I started using Delo 400. Btw, I have a 97 Yamaha YZF1000R.

Hammer

It may be that a small amount of moly in oil is ok for a wet clutch system, but when my owner's manual says "no moly" and there are good alternatives out there with no moly, it seems logical to stick with a no moly oil. Delo 400 does now have moly, that's why I wouldn't use it in my bike.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back