Reasonf for ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note that many highly regarded bike oils are 'ester based'. What does this bring to the table and what do I get? I'm trying to decide if I really need to spend the often brutal cost for these oils or if I can use a much less expensive oil, such as Shell Rotella Synth and just do a more often OCI.

I am perfectly happy changing my oil often, but also don't want to throw money away by recycling perfectly good oil.

Most of the info I get seems contrary. For example, over at ThumperTalk, folks battle. Some say their experience is that premium bike oils lke Silkolene are the only way to go and they have tear down data to support that. OThers use varieties of the MCN report which says that plain oil cheap dino oil is about the same as the most exotic oil.

Are there really facts here or is it all run what you think today is the way to run?

In my research so far, extended oil drains with bikes is rare. Most everyone still changes the oil often regardless of quality.

You can find cheaper Group 3 synthetics that will do a fine job between oil changes. Even a high grade Group 2 would do.

I have just changed oil in a new Suzuki gsxr. The oil I'm using is $3.79 a litre and it has specifications close to Amsoil's specs. Amsoil is 12 bucks a litre or 17 bucks at the dealership.

I'm going to change oil at 6000 kilos for sure if not sooner. And I have to change at 6000 for warranty. I'm quite comfortable with the cheaper semi-synthetic for that interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back