Is mobil 1 the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my question is since they came out with a new extended drain oil for cars, did they change the formulation on the motorcycle oils?

with the amount of contamination that MC oils see i would not want to leave the oil in any longer than i already do. I guess if you had a harley type engine that is not a consideration.

Supposedly they changed the formulation of their motorcycle oils a few months ago to take advantage of their supersyn PAO.

quote:

Originally posted by DNS:
Supposedly they changed the formulation of their motorcycle oils a few months ago to take advantage of their supersyn PAO.

I think that was before last summer, because I have some M1 mx4t that I bought last summer and it says "With Supersyn" on it. The oil seems to hold up well in my air cooled dirt bikes.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
with the amount of contamination that MC oils see i would not want to leave the oil in any longer than i already do. I guess if you had a harley type engine that is not a consideration.

Perhaps true of air cooled bikes. But modern water cooled bikes don't seem to contaminate the oil any more than a car does. My '99 Honda Magna VF750 is going on 2 years and 8,000 miles on Mobil 1 red cap 15w50 and UOA shows the oil (and filter) to still be healthy. It's sheared down to a mid 40 weight but that's what the bike is speced for and the TBN and wear levels are still very healthy.

Seems amazing that the oil can last that long in a shared sump wet clutch engine revving over 10 grand but UOA doesn't lie...

Also is this the same as Red-Cap ?

-

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
Ninja,

That probably is the same oil as redcap, but you'd never get Mobil to admit it. Likely that formula has changed some too. And I'm sure that it cost Mobil at least fifteen dollars extra to have that motorcycle printed on the jug.
grin.gif

Here's a thread at a Hayabusa forum you might want to keep an eye on:

MX4T has 50 degree higher flash point, no molly,also meets jaso specs were as red cap doesn't via ash burn.

Not even close IMO to be considered the same.

Hayabusa Board, new Mobil 15W50 link...

Dan

Mack,

The MX4T is a whole 'nother animal. It's a 10W40 dedicated motorcycle oil.

The jug depicted above simply says 4T and it's billed as a "racing" oil--and is a 15W50.

It's possible it's different from the old Mobil 1 redcap, but it's not MX4T either.

I've actually never seen the oil shown in the photo...

Dan

Thanks for clarifing Dan,

I'd actually posted before that picture showed up, so there was some confusion.

But I don't think I've seen that either, but maybe that is the old 15w50 formulation.

I now see where that post is coming from

Thanks

Thanks for finding those spec,

That may be the old original 15w50 formulation, definiteely not the present red cap. I'd use it versus the present red cap. I think I may have seen that oil at a cycle gear store.

I'll have to check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back