Redline & Motul Oil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. First off let me first say that I think that this fourm is very helpful & informative.
I have a 2000 Yamaha R-1, 1000cc, sportbike, inline 4 cyl, liquid cooled wet clutch.
For the past 20k, out of a total 26k miles, I have been using Motul 300v 10w30 full synthetic motor oil. I just recently gave Redline 5w30 synthetic motor oil a try. Can anyone tell me the main diffenences in the oils mentioned? I thought they were both ester based oils, but they have different ratings & such. Which oil would be the best for this bike, oci's are 3000 mles. Thanks again for all your opinions.

Motul is bit of a mystery. They do not advertise their oil specifications. They may send them to you - I do not know. They do, however, make motorcycle oils and seem fairly popular. I would like to see specs.

Redline doesn't seem to make a motorcycle specific oil. Their oils are supposed to be more universal but they do mention bikes. They do post some oil specs on their website. I would like to see Jaso MA rating before I raced out and bought the stuff.

quote:

Uneasy Rider:
..... I have a 2000 Yamaha R-1, 1000cc, sportbike, inline 4 cyl, liquid cooled wet clutch.
For the past 20k, out of a total 26k miles, I have been using Motul 300v 10w30 full synthetic motor oil. I just recently gave Redline 5w30 synthetic motor oil a try. Can anyone tell me the main diffenences in the oils mentioned? I thought they were both ester based oils, but they have different ratings & such. ....

You can do a search in Used Oil Analyses and see whatever results have been posted on elemental analysis of these oils.

"Ester" is a term that describes a family of chemicals. A midget and a pro basketball player are both "human", and the variation in "esters" is greater than that.

The esters used in motor oils can be used to permit the additives to mix with the base stock (increase miscibility), protect the oil from oxidation (anti oxidant), increase the oil's film strength (anti wear), keep the oil on the metal of the engine (polarity), or keep seals pliable and clean (solvency).

A little goes a long way, and adding a relatively small amount of the right ester to another stock such as polyalphaolefin can give you an oil that protects in the real world as well as an all-ester motor oil for less money.

In a few applications, such as jet engines and gas turbines, it is advantageous and cost effective to make an oil with an ester base stock.

Red Line is a bottler and formulator, not a manufacturer of base stocks.

Motul is the descendant of a company that was once part of the Standard Oil empire and is a primary manufacturer.

Hey thanks alot for your input fellas.
I am gonna run this batch of Redline for my normal oci (3000 miles)& see what I think.

I can usually "feel" a difference between different oils through my shifter, as I am so familar with my bike...26k on her & counting.

I was debating on doing a UOA on it after this 3k, but I just had my valves adjusted & I am afraid that this may screw up the results...I may be wrong. ??

Do the UOA just to see how it looks. I don't know if adjusting the valves would slant the results or not.

Does Yamaha call for a 30 weight oil in that engine? I know that some of the guys running Hayabusas (Suzukis) are using 0W-30 weight synthetics, even though Suzuki calls for a 10W40 oil. And some Hayabusa riders are using 15W50 Mobil 1 (the new EP included)...

Is this Redline oil the automotive type? If it is, it's got a boat load of moly in it. If your clutch isn't slipping with all of that moly in there, that's further indication that the "moly causes clutches to slip" thing may indeed be, as some say, a myth.

Keep us posted on how this oil does in your bike.
smile.gif

Dan

"Is this Redline oil the automotive type? If it is, it's got a boat load of moly in it. If your clutch isn't slipping with all of that moly in there, that's further indication that the "moly causes clutches to slip" thing may indeed be, as some say, a myth."

Some forms of moly are much more likely to make a clutch slip than others. The molibdenum disulphide (MSO2) form is more likely to make a clutch slip than some others. Also some bikes are moere prone to clutch slippage than others due to factors such as diffferent clutch materials.

quote:

Originally posted by rokky:
Motul is bit of a mystery. They do not advertise their oil specifications. They may send them to you - I do not know. They do, however, make motorcycle oils and seem fairly popular. I would like to see specs.

Redline doesn't seem to make a motorcycle specific oil. Their oils are supposed to be more universal but they do mention bikes. They do post some oil specs on their website. I would like to see Jaso MA rating before I raced out and bought the stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by rokky:

I found this site which has some motul specs, I'd say several are the same mc oils repackaged

http://www.motorspot.com/motul.html

heye uneasy, penzdude here. yep the same one that was arguing with ya about the attire of the harley riders vs the sports riders! lol.
blush.gif
anyway, let us know how the redline does in your r-1. nice bike. i recently bought a kawasaki zrx1200r. havn't got to the 600 mile service yet, and will probably wait to 2000 miles or so before i go synthetic, but the local advance auto has the redline oils. i don't think they make a motorcycle specific oil though. i could be wrong. i look at the zrx forums and alot of the riders are using the mobil 1 15-50, or reg castrol gtx 10-40. i don't ride the kaw as much as my sportster 1200, so will probably do the once a season change with a good syn. ride safe
cheers.gif

I like heavier weights in the transmission, the 10w40 motul looks nice including the 10w40 redline.

Personally I've ran several different oils, from $13 to 3.99. IMO $7.98 per bottle for MX4T performs pretty good. What I can't fiqure out is how they can get the heat tolerance out of it, cause my nose says there some dino componentry in it and I really thought in was somewhat dark in color pouring it in. But It performs very good IMO, I was surprised after being dissapointed pouring it in. I'd just removed some Rotella T synthetic, a definite difference.

But , since you ran those oils what were your thoughts between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back