BMW airhead w/ 16k miles oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
in 1997 I purchased the last R100RS (MY92) imported into OZ. It was stored from purchase day by a BMW collector - in his lounge - and never ever used!

When I purchased it I degreased it, cleaned out the fuel system and installed Castrol's RX 15w-40 a mineral HDEO and ran the bike for 1k kms - it was never babied but run in "properly"!

At 1k kms Castrol's synthetic SLX 0w-30 (known on here as GC) was installed with a new filter and it was on this until I sold it about three years later. It had annual oil cahnges and never used any at all
These engines have a 90C oil cooler and it was hardly ever hot. The hottest ambient the bike was used in was 45C (well over 100f)
It never leaked at all
I used Castrol's synthetic Syntrax 75w-90 in both box and driveshaft with great effect

A BMW approved synthetic oil is shown in the Handbook as a "Special Oil" with the vicosity range stated

Today, I would use Delvac 1 5w-40 or M1 SUV 5w-40!

Regards
Doug

The airhead motors don't "take a long time to break-in because of the materials of the piston/bore/etc." The consume more oil because they are air cooled, tend to run hotter in the cylinder area and thus are intentionally machine "loose" to allow for thermal expansion. Many of these motors continue to "consume oil" long after "break-in." Break-in is over at about 1000 miles. Carry some extra oil on long tips and enjoy your bike. Alittle oil consumption is irrelavant.

Still riding my R75/5 '731/2 Long frame, once new at $2,695. No enigine rebuild....60K+. I only ride about 2K a year on this bike.

Used Castrol 20W50 for 30 years....then Castrol Blend, then Castrol Syntec...now Amsoil V-Twin 20W50. No problems, leaks, weeps or seeps....I don't agree that 100% sythetics are bad in airhead BMW's based only on my own experience. If others do have problems then I won't argue, they probably have problems. I don't.
Amsoil is better then anything I have ever used in this bike and the temp is 90-100°'s down here, although today its 65°.
smile.gif
If I do start having "problems" I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back