Rotella T 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tukeanu:
By-the-way, your are right about Duron. It is a hydrocracked group III oil. I am after PAO group IV. So far all I have come up with is Delvac1, Rotella T syn, Valvoline SynPower and Amsoil. I have never heard much on any web forum about the Valvoline product although that is what I have in my 4x4 at the present. I have also heard that Mobil 1 T&SUV is Delvac 1 in disguise.

Rotells T Syn and Valvoline Synpower are Group III oils. Delvac 1 and Amsoil (except the 7500) are Group IV/V oils (PAO or PAO and ester).

Really, I think that a group lll oil is likely just fine for a bike application. Just how long an interval are you really gonna run? I am given to believe that group lll oils clean really well, too. That Duron might be a good choice if the price is appropriate for a group lll.

You can always go fill 'er up with Delvac 1 or M1 15w-50 if money is no object... I'm gonna stick with RTS or equivalent (perhaps Duron).

John.

Well, I gotta say...I've done a lot of research on the internet regarding synthetic oils. Since finding this site, I'm discovering that much of what I've learned elsewere is not true. One reason I'm interested in Group IV PAO is time not mileage. I've been lead to believe that dino based oils are harder on your engine if left in for an extended length of time. I am going for six months or 10,000 km intervals on my Ford Ranger 4.0L V-6. The second is the shear factors encountered in a motorcycle transmission (my Suzuki SV650). I've also been told that pure synthetic holds up better in this environment.
I'm waiting to hear back that these "facts" are incorrect also. Well, I am here to learn, not teach. I have been passing on my knowledge to others and I would appreciate being set straight on the "facts" that I'm blessing others with.
rolleyes.gif

I also have an SV650 as well as a few other bikes. I'm more a proponent of frequent oil changes on bikes due to the transmission being in the same oil. I've used various oils in my SV. I tend to go with Rotella T 15w-40 and change it every 1000 miles or so. Heck it is less than 3 quarts so it doesn't cost much. I only change the filter every 5000 or so. Besides my 17 year old son has been riding my SV and no telling what he does when I'm not looking
grin.gif
Probably lots of redline and hard use. If it wasn't such a mess I'd probably strain the used bike oil through a coffee filter and put it in his oil burning 88 Mazda B2200 with 190,000 miles on it
wink.gif

I'd feel fine with any of the oils you've mentioned, just comes down to how much you wanna spend.

I don't mind spending on oil, afterall it only takes 2.5L per change. Which brings me back to Mobil 1 T&SUV. Is it really Delvac in a different bottle like I've heard here? If so then it is a group IV PAO as well right? Delvac is increasingly hard to come by around these parts.
frown.gif

Just saw a fresh pile of Delvac 1 in Wal-mart on Friday. They never had it for a few months. It was about 34 dollars for four litres.

John.

[/qb][/QUOTE]Rotells T Syn and Valvoline Synpower are Group III oils. Delvac 1 and Amsoil (except the 7500) are Group IV/V oils (PAO or PAO and ester). [/QB][/QUOTE]

Are Mobil 1 synpower 5W30 or Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil (AMF) group IV? And, what is the difference between Mobil 1 synpower and Mobil 1 supersyn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back