Rotella T 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '04 Suzuki SV650 (had an '03 but crashed it) and have been using Delvac 5W-40 in it as per many recommendations. I can no longer get it where I live. Rotella T synthetic is suppose to be just as good. These two are the highest recommended oils for motorcycles like mine. I found Rotella T 0W-40 at a local supplier and figured I would switch to it. Suzuki recommends 10W-40 but I been told the Delvac 5W-40 more than covers me. I figure the 0W-40 Rotella would be more than sufficient as well. Opinions?

Please read this before putting 0w-40 Rotella in your bike engine! That ain't the same as what you're reading about. What people use in bikes is 5w-40 Rotella T synthetic that is ONLY made in the United States. It is compatible with wet clutches such as yours. 0w-40 Rotella ISN'T. I learned that from the Rotella website. A guy from Montreal ruined a clutch with the friction modifiers contained in the Canadian Rotella. The tech guy on the forum there said not to use it.
I use the 5w-40 in my FJR that I buy at American Walmarts for about 13 dollars a gallon whenever I am in America. I wish that we could get it here but we cannot.

John.

Thanks man! I haven't used it yet, just looking for options. Can you tell me how to get to the info you mentioned from the rotella site?

"Use Chevron Delo 15w40, my friend. It is the best oil for all cars and bikes."

I used to use this oil in my DR350 but I would NOT USE IT! It now has nearly 200ppm of moly in it. Seems a bit much to use in wet clutch applications.

Yeah, jusy go to the Shell Rotella T website that they have running. There is forum there and one of the topics is bikes. Not a lot of action there (or at least there wasn't a few months ago) but it was very instructive about Rotella and wet clutches. The last I checked, Shell Canada makes it's own oils and does not import other country's Shell products.

I am given to understand that Shell Advance motorcycle oil is 'the $hit'. They make good sled oils.

John.

frown.gif
John. I can't find it so far. Is it part of the Shell Canada site?

Well I checked out the Rotella Forums and found out some valuable info. Seems like one of the best synthetic "diesel" oils out there for use in a motorcycle is made right here in Canada. Petrocanada Duron full synthetic 5W-40. I'll look into this more to be sure but I'm told it's C-4 Allison and JASO MA rated. Things are looking up.
canada.gif
fruit.gif

Wet clutch performance should not in any way be compromised by the "almost 200ppm" TYPE of "moly" present in Delo 15W-40, or just about any HDEO of that grade.

The idea that if a 5w-40 is "good", a 0W-40 will be "better" is false, IMHO.

Please see the thread in the light duty diesel Forum re: Schaeffer's new 5W-40 product. Certain additive package items can make an oil not suitable for MC use but just **** fine for trucks and cars, but the TYPE of moly in Delo is not one of them.

Look for JASO MA or some other reliable info as to wet clutch compatibility.

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Noticed your post there so I knew that you had found it. If you want, you can go back through old posts to discover the post about Canadian Rotella T synthetic. At that time, the resident technical expert advised NOT to use 0w-40 Rotella T synthetic but to use the standard 15w-40 in Canada. I wouldn't use the Canadian synthetic Rotella in a bike.

I expect that the Duron is a grp. lll if that matters at all to you.

John.

Just got an e-mail reply from Shell Canada and they say that Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 is available here?! I asked if it was the same product as the American 5w40 that is so popular there. Stay tuned...

By-the-way, your are right about Duron. It is a hydrocracked group III oil. I am after PAO group IV. So far all I have come up with is Delvac1, Rotella T syn, Valvoline SynPower and Amsoil. I have never heard much on any web forum about the Valvoline product although that is what I have in my 4x4 at the present. I have also heard that Mobil 1 T&SUV is Delvac 1 in disguise.

Are you sure about the Rotella T 5w-40 being in that list? I didn't think it was a "true synthetic", pretty sure it is a group III.

Go to this Shell Rotella link and click on the MSDS for Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40.

While the CAS number is not listed, "Highly Refined Petroleum Oils" for a motor oil with "Synthetic" on the label is an indication of a Grp III oil.

Still a very good product -just not a PAO synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by tukeanu:
My research indicates that Shell Rotella T synthetic is PAO group IV and contains no group III base oils.

Yeh, you can't get real group 4 PAO under 6 bucks or so, only the high grade dyno group 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back