Oil For '76 CB400F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still has Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil 10w-40 in the sump from my pre-BiTOG days...
grin.gif

Would you recommend something different?

In my experience, the best dino bike oil I've used has been yamalube 20w40. I would try that out. Motorcycle MA rated oils wont have friction mods in them,. To save money and theese oils seem to work well, use a 15w40 diesel oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Still has Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil 10w-40 in the sump from my pre-BiTOG days...
grin.gif

Would you recommend something different?

I had this bike. Used Castrol GTX 20w-50. Exclusively.

Today, I think Castrol still makes a 20w-50. I think you will have good luck with it.

Btw, my buddy has the bike today. I gave it away. No gunk or varnish build-up in it anywhere!!!!!!!

The 5W-40 diesel oils and any of the 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oils should work well in your Honda 400. Stay away from cheap dinos or 50 weight oils. The 50 weights will provide you with nothing more than reduced power and higher oil temperatures...

I was naturally leaning towards one of the HDEO's, but I do highly appreciate that the Valvoline product "meets or exceeds" JASO MA...

code:

Test SAE 10W-40

Vis @ 100°C (cSt) 15.2

Vis @ 40°C (cSt) 104.1

Viscosity Index 155

Total Base No. 8

Flash COC (°C) 216

Pour Point (°C) max -33

CCS cP (°C) 6200(-250C)

MRV TP-1 cP (°C) 38000(-30C)

Noack % off @ 250°C
Sulfated Ash, wt.% 0.7

Zinc/Phosphorus, wt.% 0.120/0.109

Calcium, wt.% 0.23

STOP!!!!!!!!!!! I collected bikes for years and I had the good fortune of finding a red CB400F with only 1,500 mles on it!It was mint and ran flawlessly.I changed oil to synthetic and IMMEDIATELY developed a serious head gasket leak that required an engine teardown to replace the gasket.You are warned.............
frown.gif

I don't see how oil could have anything to do with a head gasket?? It was probably bad from sitting for years without driving it. If you would have gotten a flat tire on that ride, would the synthetic oil have caused that too?

Another vote for Yamalube 20w40. Used this on a bunch of bikes and ATVs over the years with no problems. Lighter base oils such as 10w XX seem to sheer down to fast in A/C bikes for my tastes.

Best bang for the buck in bikes is 15W40. I use Rotella T in both my bikes and they shift noticeably better with it than brand name dino 10W40.

I've had quite a few bikes, too. Old stuff, new stuff, abused stuff, stuff in near-mint condition. I've tried almost every oil out there. You know what? I don't like Castrol or Valvolene. I like Silkolene, Motul, and either Rotella or the Chevron Delo (although the new stuff w/moly is a no-no). I *really* like Amsoil for bikes. Mobil-1 for bikes is also great, but it's SOOOO expensive. We are talking 2-3x as expensive as the Amsoil.

As for "I put synthetic oil in my bike and it ", well, that might be true but I find it extremely hard to believe that it's causal rather than coincidental.

Irode it for hundreds of miles with no problems.I put in M1 and had an immediate head gasket leak.The man asked for input.I gave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back