What makes Motorcycle oil different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
slide asks "I'd like to know specifically what the MA rating buys me?"

IMHO, compliance with that standard (which may affect any warranty claim$ you might have) which includes wet clutch compatability.

Also "Oils with that rating sure cost more." This is quite true: some SURE do... Most are synthetics or some kind of blend and prices can go up above $10 per quart, too!
banghead.gif

But not all: try Valvoline's 10W-40 & 20W-50 MC-specific oils: both carry the JASO MA rating and I've found them for under $2 per quart on sale. Castrol EVO's are commonly $2.99 per quart after a $1 rebate.

Cheers!
burnout.gif

Norm

I've done a pile of research on motorcycle oils. Most articles will steer you towards synthetic. In that catagory, Mobil's Delvac 1 and Shell's Rotella T stand head and shoulders above all else. These two share top spot on all lists and are by far and away the best synthetics available for a modern wet clutch bike engine. I have an '04 Suzuki SV650 and have been using Delvac 1 but am switching to Rotella T because my supplier quit carrying Delvac. Hope this helps.

Tukeanu: I really hope that you have read my other post about American Rotella T sythetic versus Canadain Rotella T synthetic! ONLY use the American stuff in a wet clutch.

John.

Motorcycle oils contain no friction modifiers since the oil is used to bath the clutch. Otherwise there would be clutch slippage. SO to counter that they add more zinc and phosphorus than they do in automotive oil. It also resisits sheer and heat better better. I believe auto oil is good up to 225 degrees and bike oils are over 300 degrees. I cant wait to try the new Mobil 1 EP products and dyno test it on the Ducati. 50% more supersyn. Should produce some small gains in HP.

You can get a good proven JASO MA rated synthetic like Amsoil for the same money or cheaper than the M1 EP and not have to worry about your clutch. I don't know if I would be willing to try it or not.

Pretty hard to beat Amsoil 10/40. Just look at the comparisons and specs.

I wished I could buy it in Canada for a reasonable price. The bike dealer wants over $17.00 for one litre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back