What makes Motorcycle oil different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it doesn't contain friction modifiers but what else is different?
more zinc and phos. i'm assuming?
is the TBN different?
is it more shear resistant? if so how do they make it that way?

I really think its just a lack of moly, I know this amsoil sheared down to almost a 20wt oil in 2k miles (HARD Miles) I may try mobil one MXT4 or their 20w50 vtwin oil in my bike when it gets real hot out.

here is a UOA of mine from last summer
posted August 06, 2004 06:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bike 2003 Honda 954 inline 4
Oil Amsoil motorcyle 10w40
Miles on bike 8500
miles on oil 2250
Bike ridden agressively on street and Very HARD on the Racetrack doing 2 track days on this sample (track day consists of 6 sessions of 20 minute balls to the wall closed circuit at mid ohio).

Iron 35
lead 4
copper 8
Tin 0
alum 49!!
Si 12

TBN 9.74
Fuel Vi at 100 10.03
Nit 12
Oxid 14

Most seem to just use 15W50 M1 in their bikes, even with wet clutches like myself. Works great and is cheaper then paying for it to say motorcycle on it.

hey guys,
thanks for the info, but I asked what makes MC oil different, not what oil you are using, or what oil I can use. I already know 15w-40 and mobil red cap are alternatives for non-belivers in the "MA" rating.

I'd like to see a discussion of what makes it different than automotive oil, not what is the same.

thanks to the couple of people who answered the topic.

What make Motorcylce oil different?

In most cases as far as I can tell it's the word motorcycle on the label.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Marlin:
Most seem to just use 15W50 M1 in their bikes, even with wet clutches like myself. Works great and is cheaper then paying for it to say motorcycle on it.

I think it depends on the bike and clutch. Some have problems with it and some don't. As they say, your mileage may vary.

The most significant differences are the price and the picture of a motorcycle on the side.
grin.gif

You do want to avoid "Energy Conserving" oil and preferably use oil that meets Allison C4 wet clutch requirements.

Sounds like several people here are having good luck with M1 15W-50 car oil too. It used to make marginal MC clutches slip, but that was 4 or 5 years ago that that was common.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
I know it doesn't contain friction modifiers but what else is different?
more zinc and phos. i'm assuming?
is the TBN different?
is it more shear resistant? if so how do they make it that way?

I can tell you how Mobil 1 motorcycle oils differ.

The 20W-50 contains no VI boosters and is made up of two PAOs in what is known as a "dumbbell" blend. The 10W-40 has a small quantity of a very stable VI booster. This makes both of the oils very shear resistant.

Both have higher levels of zinc and phosphorous than current SL motor oils.

The blend stocks and additives are selected for higher temperature use than the automotive motor oils.

Neither contains friction modifiers.

Both contain anti-corrosion additives that prevent corrosion in long storage in recognition of the fact that many motorcycles are driven little and stored a lot.

Other than avoiding the "energy conserving" label, Ihave yet to see where a motorcycle specific oil paid off in the long run over a car labeled oil. I have had 6 bikes over the years and have used car oils of 10w-40, 15W-40 HDEO, 20W-50 with no effect on them and all have had 50K on the odometer with no oil burning.

Hootbro

Most of the differences lie with the rating of the oil. Most bike oil is rated 'SG', which has higher levels of Zinc and Phos than 'SL' or 'SM' oils do. However, the newer oils do utilise different additives to prevent wear to 'make up' for that lost Zinc and Phos. I beleive this is why you hear stories about 'car' oil lasting as long as bike oil does. Other than that, the
base oils are usually the same.

Good answer Tim H. That is why the new bikes still recommend SG or even SH as my 02 Honda does. The SL and SM oils do not have the same additive package as the old SG-SH oils.

I definitely have seen changes in the manuals. In the manual for my old 98 DR350 is specified SF/SG oil and for my new XR650R the manual really gets into oils you can used to include MA and any SH or higher oils that is not labelled "energy conserving" I'm assuming not to manuals dare specify SG oil any more.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
What make Motorcylce oil different?

In most cases as far as I can tell it's the word motorcycle on the label.
grin.gif

Let's not forget the picture of the motorcycle and the much larger number after the $
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by resslera:
I'm assuming not to manuals dare specify SG oil any more.

The SG rating some of them specified until afew years ago was BS.

1. Most any SL or SM oil would pass SG requirements. That is if they can find all the equipment to run the SG tests. I hear some of it's obsolete. SG is no longer an active rating and hasn't been for years.

2. Some if not most of the MC "SG" oils could be expected to meet SJ or maybe SM in xW-40 and xW-50 grades. They probably wouldn't meet energy conserving standards, but I don't believe they apply to xW-40 and thicker anyway.

It looks as though Mobil1 has completely changed their line with Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 being synthetic, Mobil Clean 7500 being semi synthetic, and Mobil Clean 5000 being dino oil. This was taken out of the Mobil 1 website asking if the dino 5000 could be used in motorcycles

"Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my motorcycle or my boat engine?

If your four-cycle motorcycle or boat engine calls for an API SM, SL, SJ, SH or SG rated oil, you can use Mobil Clean 5000.

Obviously, if you have a two-cycle motorcycle or outboard engine, you must use a two-cycle oil. However, we recommend that you follow the recommended oil change interval in your owner's manual."

Someone asked if the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15w50 could be used in motorcycles, It looks like this is the same thing as "red cap" even though they claim more Supersyn. I'd say more supersyn over their synth blend but I doubt it is any different than the previous 15w50 as it is still SL rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back