Bel ray oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new Hot Bike magazine and there is a full page ad for Bel ray V-twin 20w50 oil with
Billy Lane. Has anyone used this oil? I might use some just because I hate paying Harley prices for dino oil!

Well...if Billy Lane is in the ad it must be good...right ?
rolleyes.gif

I haven't heard of Bel Ray in years. It may be good but if was more than 5 or 6 dollars a quart I would stick with M1, Amsoil, Torco or the like.

I'm sure that welder/fabricators on show bikes with mail order engines are certainly oil experts.
itschy.gif

Bel-Ray is still around and as far as i know still makes good stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by ocrstar:
Billy Lane is a custom bike (chopper) builder who's been featured on The Discovery Channel "Biker Build-Off"

Before Bel-Ray picked him up, Billy Lane was shown putting regular Castrol GTX car oil in one of his custom builds on the Discovery channel. Makes you wonder?

Hootbro

There is a Motorcyclesuperstore on the net selling the hi-end Maxima 5w-40 and 0w-30 for 6.75 per liter if you buy the 20qt bucket . That stuff is primarily Pentaerythritol with enough PAO to offset seal swell . Their 10w-40 Synthetic and 15w-50 costs even a bit less and both 40wts are 12.8-13.0 cSt oils .

Thats akin to walking into Walmart and seeing Supersyn jugs for 12 bucks or so .

Anyway , they also sell V-Twin dino and at the Maxima USA site they give the run down on Harley gear and engine oil and the why's .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
There is a Motorcyclesuperstore on the net selling the hi-end Maxima 5w-40 and 0w-30 for 6.75 per liter if you buy the 20qt bucket . That stuff is primarily Pentaerythritol with enough PAO to offset seal swell .

Motorbike,
What does this mean? I have the Maxima 5w-40 in my bike right now and don't seem to have any issues with it yet. I agree that it is a resonably well priced oil. I got it right off the Maxima website. They even sent me some cool stickers
grin.gif

BelRay = excellent MC oil + pretty $pendy

MAXIMA = excellent MC oil + pretty $pendy

Castrol R4 = excellent MC oil + pretty darn $pendy

lol.gif

Various AMSOIL = s/b the same excellence + less $pendy

Valvoline MC-specific JASO MA oils & Castrol EVO =
PROBABLY as good (with reasonable OCI's) = even le$$ $pendy

Delo 400 15W-40 @ $6 a gallon probably would do the trick longer than most people ever plan to keep a bike.

IMHO, of course!

Cheers!
cheers.gif

p.s. The Orange County Chopper guys are often seen pouring 20W-50 GTX into the crate motors they install. In their "creations" (or, is it CREATURES?)

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
p.s. The Orange County Chopper guys are often seen pouring 20W-50 GTX into the crate motors they install. In their "creations" (or, is it CREATURES?)

They would probably pour in Crisco if they gave them enough money....

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
....p.s. The Orange County Chopper guys are often seen pouring 20W-50 GTX into the crate motors they install. In their "creations" (or, is it CREATURES?)

Considering how most of their bike will become static displays for corporate customers or museum pieces, these motors will be lucky to see 100hrs on them to begin with. So the oil wil be fine. FWIW, I have a friend that has been running Supertech 20W-50 for the last 5 years in his Harley EVO motor. He has over 50K on the OD with no problems. I have runned 15W-40 Supertech in all my Japanese bikes with no problems also. Other tha looking for the Moly in the "energy conserving" type oils, all auto marketed oils have done me fine over the years. Motorcyle oils are designed to lighten you wallet more than to protect your bike IMHO.

Hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
do harleys really need a real MC oil since thier transmission and clutch are not lubricated by the engine oil? it's the transmission and clutch that kill the engine's oil in other bikes.

I am running M1 15w-50 in my 92 Evo. The difference between red cap and the "V-Twin oil" is very small...it too is specificially engineered to rapid deplete the stock of cash in your wallet!!!!

just IMHO

darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
do harleys really need a real MC oil since thier transmission and clutch are not lubricated by the engine oil? it's the transmission and clutch that kill the engine's oil in other bikes.

I have always thought it odd that Japanese M/C's use a joint engine/transmission, which in turn necessitates a fairly unique fluid (I know, the claim is it is supposed to be built this way for performance purposes/high RPM engine rigidity). But I cannot help but wonder if the nice motor oil is being destroyed by all those gears spinning around....

For a Harley transmission I would only recommend a high quality gear oil. I use the Bel-Ray that the local dealer sells. No, it's not cheap but then neither was the Harley (2000 Fat Boy).

Although many guys are now using the Harley synthetic oil in all three cases, I would stick with gear oil for the tranny.

It is unclear to me whether the clutch/primary chain needs such a synthetic oil, but I do use the S3 oil there and in the engine with good results.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back