Any BMW riders out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 R1100S and since it only has 7,500 miles I still use BMW dino which is supposed to be very good oil with 3k oil changes. I also use bmw dino in the tranny and final drive, however, I am planning on changing the tranny to Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil this spring. I have heard from my dealer that the mobil 1 "weeps" on the final drive and the dino works best as the temps are all ways very low in the final.

quote:

Originally posted by Bumper:
I have a 2002 R1100S and since it only has 7,500 miles I still use BMW dino which is supposed to be very good oil with 3k oil changes. I also use bmw dino in the tranny and final drive, however, I am planning on changing the tranny to Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil this spring. I have heard from my dealer that the mobil 1 "weeps" on the final drive and the dino works best as the temps are all ways very low in the final.

********* I wonder why they think the M1 would "weep"....... does that make any sense to you? I would also think that the synthetic gear lube would work just as well if not better than Dino and last a little longer back there.
What's Your gut feeling on that?

I have a K1100 RS. Just switched out the trans & final to Amsoil synthetic 75w140. BMW specs 90 lube, but some real high mileage BMWs on several bike forums use 140.
For the motor, I ran Amsoil 20w50 when warm & 10w40 now in the winter. I am re-thinking my winter oil choice, as the bike is garaged (heated to 50 deg). I played with a oil mixing calculator on the WWW and may try 50/50 mix of the two yielding a lower limit 50 weight oil.
Now if I could just get an oil bypass filter on it I would be happy! I'll probably settle on tee-ing off the oil pressure sender with a blocked off 1/4" hose routed somewhere convienent, and plug in an offline filter occasionally.

Year #32 and 60,870 miles on my 1973&1/2, long frame, BMW R75/5. Catrol GTX 20w-50 except last 2,000 miles with 50/50 mix of GTX and Castrol Syntec 20w-50. Always 1000-2000 OCI's or less depending on months in. OEM or Fram filters, Castrol dino 80w90 in tranny and final drive. Southern NM never very cold but can be dusty in Spring. Too few really cold days to ever bother with a 10w-40. Might try it someday. Once I ran Castrol HD-w40 and that worked well too. I seldom ride it hard and keep it in the 3,000-5,000 rpm range. Hardly ever get out of third in town and have a 5-speed to try out later.

Just put in Amsoil 20w50 "V-twin" with a Wixx made in Korea filter Saturday and why, oh why didn't I do this before?!? Ran maybe 10-20 degrees cooler. Will know for sure this summer.
Noticeable improvement. Quieter, smoother, runs cooler, idles better and IF it doesn't weep out anywhere I will never use Castrol GTX again. Boxer riders in the /5,/6,/7 group around here think synthetics leak out too much and I'm wasting my money. They think it's better just to change th oil more often. It's worked for me, but the ride on Amsoil this weekend was "better" oil. I'll see what happens and run it anyway for 1000-2000 and do a first UOA on my almost cherry pride-and-joy. Maybe Mobil 1 15w-50 deserves a try too?
Cost is NOT a factor for deciding, results are.
Will still run dino 80w-90 as the tranny has very, very minor weeping the last 20,000 miles or so. Maybe after I rebuild a /6's 5-speed next summer I'll try a synthetic 75w-90. No weeps, etc in final drive.

Anyone have any experience, guidance information with Sythetics in their old boxers? I would appreciate any information.

[ January 10, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Cicero ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero:
Southern NM never very cold but can be dusty in Spring. Too few really cold days to ever bother with a 10w-40. Might try it someday. Anyone have any experience, guidance information with Sythetics in their old boxers? I would appreciate any information.

Where are you located? Cruces?

Anyhow, put 32,000 on my Roadster 1100 twin running 10w40 year round. Amsoil 10w40 will run cooler than most 20w50 hence you actually have a thicker oil than a (hotter) thinner 20w50.

Oh and a majority of my miles was in the desert southwest between El Paso, Cruces, Alamogordo, and into Arizona area.

How/Where can I find out some oil filter X-references for my 2004 R1150RT? It looks like the BMW filters are good quality... but it sure would be nice to know what elso fit/worked right for this bike........

JP

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Where are you located? Cruces?

Amsoil 10w40 will run cooler than most 20w50 hence you actually have a thicker oil than a (hotter) thinner 20w50.

Yes, LC. The chili had good flavor this year but the extra hot wasn't that great. You need a CARE package next August?

I read your 10w-40 recommendation elsewhere AFTER I picked up the 20w-50. Would have been much better to have used 10w-40 now and watched what happens as it gets hotter, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I'm game to trying 10w-40 next change. Your first hand experience in this area with 10w-40 makes a difference to me. Old ideas and habits are hard to break and I'm new to this level of oil knowledge. My friends will really know I'm off the reservation for sure. BTW, do you prefer Amsoil, Mobil 1, or even something else for older BMW's? Your thoughts about this would be appreciated.
Thanks, msparks.

quote:

I'm game to trying 10w-40 next change. Your first hand experience in this area with 10w-40 makes a difference to me. Old ideas and habits are hard to break and I'm new to this level of oil knowledge. My friends will really know I'm off the reservation for sure. BTW, do you prefer Amsoil, Mobil 1, or even something else for older BMW's? Your thoughts about this would be appreciated.
Thanks, msparks.

The only reservation that I have recommending the 10w40 is you are putting this in an Airhead right?

If it were an Oilhead or a Kbike 10w40 is the way to go. I don't know but I would probably stick with the 20w50 just for the extra high temp protection.

Do you ever ride to Mesilla on sunday mornings? We always stopped by the cafe for breakfast.

Do you know my buddy Jay Paulson? He has a red K12RS but also now rides a FJR?

I suppose you know Don Cameron too? Ever been to the guzzi rally in Datil?

What a good time I had back there, I often wish I was back, who know maybe someday.

Actually, I will probably switch the tranny and final drive to Mobil 1 75-90 and see for myself if I get any "weeping" as it does not make any sense to me either. I hear that making the switch to Mobil 1 in the tranny really improves shifting significantly. I am not going to switch my crank case oil until she stops consumption which at present is still happening at a rate of about .5 quart every 1k miles. I ride her hard by hitting redline with hard acceleration and still use oil. I hear that this is typical for the first 15-20K miles. Well, we shall see!
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Thanks, msparks.

The only reservation that I have recommending the 10w40 is you are putting this in an Airhead right?

If it were an Oilhead or a Kbike 10w40 is the way to go. I don't know but I would probably stick with the 20w50 just for the extra high temp protection.

Do you ever ride to Mesilla on sunday mornings? We always stopped by the cafe for breakfast.

Do you know my buddy Jay Paulson? He has a red K12RS but also now rides a FJR?

I suppose you know Don Cameron too? Ever been to the guzzi rally in Datil?

What a good time I had back there, I often wish I was back, who know maybe someday.

I must have misunderstood your 10w40 recommendation. I thought you knew that I have a R75/5 and was recommending I try a 10w40 based on your experience. My mistake. Happy to stay with 20w-50.

I go to the big bike rally in Ruidosa in the Fall and that's about it anymore. 5,000 to maybe 10,000 riders.
Not sure which cafe your talking about in Mesilla. (El Patio, perhaps?). Sorry, I don't believe I know your friends. I do have some Moto Guzzi friends here who might know them.
My BMW mechanic and good friend Burt, aka Barney, in Cruces is a real wrench turning ace cycle man and MANY BMW, Moto Guzzi, and British bike guys bring him their bikes to work on. As far away as from Sante Fe. He just restored a small BSA from the 60's and a '67 Triumph, even though he only wants/likes to work on BMWs. He worked on a Moto Guzzi for "Mike O' " last year. He might know your friends or they him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back