How long between changing synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only put about 30 miles in 6 months on my ATV since I changed the oil (Mobile 20w50). Not very dusty/dirty conditions. I run a Suzuki OEM filter. Should I change regardles of the miles?

I wouldn't worry about. Most people only change the oil in the things once a year. However, I wouldn't run that heavy an oil in it, unless specifically stated by the manufacturer. A good 0W-40, 10W-40, or 15W-40 synthetic would probably be best.

quote:

Originally posted by Back40:
I have only put about 30 miles in 6 months on my ATV since I changed the oil (Mobile 20w50). Not very dusty/dirty conditions. I run a Suzuki OEM filter. Should I change regardles of the miles?

I deal with a lot of engines that are parked a lot and driven little. Here's my decision tree for low mileage:

1. Is the vehicle under warranty?

Yes - change at time interval recommended by manufacturer, generally six months.

No - see (2)

2. Has the oil been in the vehicle for one year?

Yes - change the oil.

Once I hit (2) I also change the oil that I'm using and go to high detergent motor oil with a high polar content and anti-rust additives.

I use the Mobil 1 SUV / Delvac 1 5W-40.

I see that some of the folks on the board have a
product that does the same thing for use as an additive:

http://www.specialtyformulations.com/index_files/page568.htm

"Classic Form Classic Car Engine Preservative coats the internals with added films of anti-rust and anti-corrosion inhibitors."

Btw, if you're using Mobil 1 20W-50 motorcycle oil, you've got a remarkable oil IMHO. It's not what I'd use for driven little, parked a lot, but for air-cooled high-stress applications it's quite an oil.

It's also great for ancient engines that expect SAE 30 to 50 mineral oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back