'05 Honda Rancher 350ES and cold Dakota Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
The Honda ATV clutches are pretty picky about oil from what I am told,

I'e been riding atv's/dirtbikes for over 30 years and never had a clutch slip unless it was worn out. I still have my 1982 ATC250R with a manual wetclutch and it has blasted Dumont Dunes more than any bike I have owned.

My currant bike is 2001 Kawasaki Mojave. To combat camshaft wear I've gone back to "car" oil. I broke the new top end in with 5w-20 and added 5 ounces of Torco magnetic friction reducer.

Even loaded with the Torco stuff my clutch didn't slip.

Currantly running Delo 15w-40, the new stuff w/Moly and no problems.

Oh and since switching to "car" oils my camshaft wear looks to have stopped.

My neighbor has a 1999 Honda 400ex with a wet clutch and a new KFX 400 and they both get Chevron Supreme 10w-40. No slippage. Same with his sister in laws Z-400.

I think the whole "your clutch will slip with car oil" deal is blown out of proportion.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
The Honda ATV clutches are pretty picky about oil from what I am told,

I'e been riding atv's/dirtbikes for over 30 years and never had a clutch slip unless it was worn out. I still have my 1982 ATC250R with a manual wetclutch and it has blasted Dumont Dunes more than any bike I have owned.

My currant bike is 2001 Kawasaki Mojave. To combat camshaft wear I've gone back to "car" oil. I broke the new top end in with 5w-20 and added 5 ounces of Torco magnetic friction reducer.

Even loaded with the Torco stuff my clutch didn't slip.

Currantly running Delo 15w-40, the new stuff w/Moly and no problems.

Oh and since switching to "car" oils my camshaft wear looks to have stopped.

My neighbor has a 1999 Honda 400ex with a wet clutch and a new KFX 400 and they both get Chevron Supreme 10w-40. No slippage. Same with his sister in laws Z-400.

I think the whole "your clutch will slip with car oil" deal is blown out of proportion.

I don't think it is blown out of proportion that much. I think it is more machine dependant than anything. I have had some slip and some work fine. It is a bad feeling when the cluth slips. If you are using the Chevron Supreme 10W40, you probably don't have much for friction modifiers anyway, so that is probably why you don't have any problems. An extra dollar or 2 on oil is a lot cheaper than replacing a clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back