Manufacture for Harley Davidson Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told my brother about this great website. He wanted to know the manufacture for HD oils. Amsoil says its Sunoco. Can anyone verify if the Amsoil Rep is correct or supply a link with the information. Thanks

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I'll second Citgo, that's what I heard last.

But who knows, the oil is made to harleys spec at the lowest bidder, so they can make the greatest profit.

I'll tell you for $8.50/qt, it's not the best oil on the market!

From my bit a research I found that Citgo makes the Harley Davidson oil. Citgo also makes Yamaha's Yamalube brand oil. I can't remember my sources, I came across the info on accident.

Google is your friend.

This site names Citgo, but lists no source reference.

Citgo is active in custom blending, so it makes sense. A MSDS would be nice for verification.

i'll confuse stuff a little more...i always heard sunoco for the dino oil, citco for the screaming eagle syn.
dunno.gif
penz

Citgo .............

1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

Not to be critical but Citgo has been the traditional "value" provider for years...
i.e. shall we say "lowest cost"?? Which results in the greatest profit margin for the manufacturer... Of course the oil is blended to HD specifications but......

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Motorbike..this looks like a crappy oil for 8.00 a qt....am I right...

What do you see that makes it crappy? SYN3 has shown some nice UOA's. The only problem I have seen is the price. $8 per quart makes this oil overpriced until you put the Harley name on it. Then it becomes a justified price.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Motorbike..this looks like a crappy oil for 8.00 a qt....am I right...

What do you see that makes it crappy? SYN3 has shown some nice UOA's. The only problem I have seen is the price. $8 per quart makes this oil overpriced until you put the Harley name on it. Then it becomes a justified price.

Boy, i hope that was sarcasm!!! LOL

Just the regular Red Cap M1 makes the most sense IMHO for bike oil...If it has the harley name or logo on it, you KNOW its overpriced!!!

darrell
sin city

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Not to be critical but Citgo has been the traditional "value" provider for years...
i.e. shall we say "lowest cost"??

Thing is though George Citgo did use alot of groupI+ and group II in their own oils but when it comes to oils like Yamaha 20w-40 ect from what I gather they use much Conoco Pure Peformance 225N - 600N base oils . Now maybe they get it cheap but cheap quality base oils they are not .

The Harley oil looks like a PAO or two , a group III and a thickener with a mineral carrier oil .

One might never know but put that oil in an engine such as the Kawasaki Vulcan , Yamaha Road Warrior or the big Honda cruiser and it might do as well as other 8 buck a quart oils such as Mobil bike specific .

I'm not certain Harley said here , build us an oil w/o input from their enginneers and bean counters .

Citgo might be The customers always right types
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:

quote:

What do you see that makes it crappy? SYN3 has shown some nice UOA's.

Boy, i hope that was sarcasm!!!

Nope, no sarcasm. SYN3 isn't a bad oil at all. In the few UOA's here, it has done a decent job.

Personally, I don't run this oil. I also wouldn't have a problem putting it in my bike if I was to get a good deal. I much perfer SYN3 to Mobil 1's V-Twin oil which sells for a similar price.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:

quote:

What do you see that makes it crappy? SYN3 has shown some nice UOA's.

Boy, i hope that was sarcasm!!!

Nope, no sarcasm. SYN3 isn't a bad oil at all. In the few UOA's here, it has done a decent job.

Personally, I don't run this oil. I also wouldn't have a problem putting it in my bike if I was to get a good deal. I much perfer SYN3 to Mobil 1's V-Twin oil which sells for a similar price.

I follow the principle of, "If it has Harley's name on it, it's WAY over priced!!"

Just IMHO

darrell
sin city

I follow the principle of, "If it has Harley's name on it, it's WAY over priced!!"

My point exactly....there are other 8.oo oils out there that are much better...as was when Sun oil made Harley oil before Synthetic...remember when Harley said that Syn wouldn't work because it was too slippery....
nono.gif
So go ahead and make the Davidson family richer cause they are already rich..
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back