Amsoil 10w-40 OK for Texas summer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 2004 Ninja sportbike and wanted to know if this oil would suffice for a hot Texas summer (95-105F) or if I should use the 20w-50. I'm thinking that the 10w-40 would shear down too much but I've heard that the Amsoil doesn't break down as bad as other oils.

Also, would it be okay to mix AMF and AMV say half and half ? All Amsoil guys please help !!

10w40 Amsoil will protect better at 100 than a 20w50 will.

I run 10w40 year in my BMW twin (that called for 20w50 BTW) when I lived in El Paso. Does dallas get as hot as El Paso?

Run 10w40, it less expensive per quart than the 20w50 and will work fine in your application.

Thanks, msparks !! I really like the Amsoil, and it helps the shifting and overall helps the bike run smoother than with the Mobil 1 15w-50.

Does your BMW share the oil w/ the transmission, is it a wet clutch ? I'd also like to see a UOA w/ a motorcycle and this oil to ease my fears about the shearing down. Also you mentioned that it protects better than the 20w50. How is that ? becuause it flows better.. Thanks again !!

quote:

Originally posted by Ninjaracer636:
Thanks, msparks !! I really like the Amsoil, and it helps the shifting and overall helps the bike run smoother than with the Mobil 1 15w-50.

Does your BMW share the oil w/ the transmission, is it a wet clutch ? I'd also like to see a UOA w/ a motorcycle and this oil to ease my fears about the shearing down. Also you mentioned that it protects better than the 20w50. How is that ? becuause it flows better.. Thanks again !!

I don't have the BMW anymore, but no it didn't share the transmission it was separate. But your in luck, I'm running the 10w40 in my Triumph 955 St (it's an in line triple) I just put Amsoil in, but will probably have it tested this coming year sometime. I hope to put more than 6,000 a year, though I'm kind of discouraged, since I only put about 5,000 on this so far.

Anyhow, regarding the 10w40 Amsoil vs20w50 convetinoal. The Synthetic basestocks combined with the superior additive package will protect better than a conventional 20w50, combine that with the fact that Amsoil will run 20-50 degree's cooler(during high temp/high stress operation) the 10w40 will be thicker in some cases at high temp(I'm talking over 240 degrees compared to a 20w50 at 260 degrees)

Hope this helps.

I run SuperTech 15W-40 down here in San Antonio during the summer with no problems in my Suzuki V-twin.

Hootbro

Hey msparks, I really like some of the new Triumphs, esp the Speed triple. It looks great with the single sided swingarm.

What OCI do you recommend with the Amsoil ? Keep in mind it sees regular 15,000 rpm runs, semi long periods of 220 F idling, and just running down the road at "normal" speeds the motor sees 7-8k rpm. I would also think that I would get some shearing from the gears and contamination from the clutch.. Thanks again.

I'm not msparks but I generaly run bike oil 3 to 4K or until the shifting gets clunky. If you do a lot of highway miles 4 to 5K should be ok.

My old Bandit and TLS would beat oil up fast, at 2K they shifted like junk. My current bike a VFR 800 seems to be very easy on oil. I'm at 4K on Rotella T 5W40 and the shifting is still good. This winter I'm going to change it to Amsoil 10W40. My brother is useing Amsoil in the Bandit now and changing the oil at 4K OCI's I think and the shifting is still good. He is a heavy weight and rides the bike hard. Amsoil in the little VFR should last a long time giving the beating my brother puts on the stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Ninjaracer636:
Hey msparks, I really like some of the new Triumphs, esp the Speed triple. It looks great with the single sided swingarm.

What OCI do you recommend with the Amsoil ? Keep in mind it sees regular 15,000 rpm runs, semi long periods of 220 F idling, and just running down the road at "normal" speeds the motor sees 7-8k rpm. I would also think that I would get some shearing from the gears and contamination from the clutch.. Thanks again.

Hey that type of abuse doesn't sound far from what I do. Though the triple doens't rev as high I freqently bounce it off the rev limiter. I think 9500 is red line. I think the sprint puts off more heat than most. Compared to my wifes SV650 the fan on the sprint will kick on sitting at a red light. I have only had the SV's fan kick on one time.

That sprint will bake you in 90+ degrees, you definately want to keep moving.

I just changed out my first run of Amsoil at 12,000 miles. I had a little over 6,000 on that run and shifting was good the entire time. Also the oil didn't "look" bad at all(not that that is an indication of anything) Just saying that is wasn't muck coming out of the drain.

I would say if you are running that thing they way you say 6,000 miles or once a year should be sufficient, if you start doing longer touring miles, then bump it to 9000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
My current bike a VFR 800 seems to be very easy on oil. I'm at 4K on Rotella T 5W40 and the shifting is still good. This winter I'm going to change it to Amsoil 10W40.

What year is your VFR? Is it the new V-tec? What do you think of the current model with that flat black paint. I personally dont' like it. I'm kind of a stickler for red
smile.gif

I've looked at VFR's, but the new engine requires too much as far as maintenance with that valve adjustment costing a fortune!!

Mine is a 1999 VFR 800FI. The thing is a dream to ride, or at least to me it is. My old 97 TL1000S used to hurt me on long rides.

I think the V tec thing is a marketing thing myself. I'm pretty sure if I had one I would remove it at the first valve adjustment. Why would I want the bike to have a big "hit" to upset the chassis in a long sweeper.

I like the red too.

I'm hoping the valve adjustment won't be much harder than my TLS was.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back