Tic Toc - Waiting on that clutch to slip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Honda that does not use Kevlar clutch plates . At 68 miles I dumped the factory oil and put Motorcraft 15w-40 in it for awhile and to maybe 500 miles before I switch to synlube .

Motorcraft 15w-40 add pack .

Boron-321
Silicon-5
Sodium-1
Calcium-2909
Magnesium-258
Phos-1138
Zinc-1388
TBN +12

At the same time I put 4.5 ounces of this to 4.2 quarts of the oil .

Valvoline Synpower additive

Iron 1
Aluminum 1
Lead 5
Tin 10
Sodium 3
Potassium 10
Moly 234
Boron 289
Calcium 85
Magnesium 24
Phos 1578
Zinc 1565
Antimony 30
VI @ 100c 232.7
VI Index 228
TBN 2.58

No slip yet
smile.gif
and sure shifts nice . I've got Barnett Kevlar plates and a bit heavier springs coming though .

I used that additve for 6 months in my hi-hp Zuki w/o problemos . It has factory Kevlar plates though but even after I bumped the HP up by 45-50 I'm still running stock clutch springs " kind of a plate type spring for pressure on that style " vs traditional wound wire springs .

Jon ,
In my experience Kevlar will not uptake Moly . The newest addition is a new old stock 2003 Honda VTR 1000F Super Hawk .

427 ,
All group II in that one save the group I used as the add pack carrier . It helps prevent additive fall out during lenghty runs with group II base oils while adding some solvency , so it's been said .

I sent in a VOA of this mix , will post it in a week or so .

I bought a few or more
smile.gif
cases of that oil before CI-4+ did something negative to it . Assuming it will be a negative and assuming Ford will even change this oil ?

This formula is near what the Phillips 15w-40 looked like a year ago except the Phillips had even more mag and boron
cool.gif
Lots more in fact .

Now the Phillips looks more like Rotella or Delo but I've been told the Phillips 3000 PAO Synthetic Blend looks like the Motorcraft but with PAO and group II.

What model Honda is it? Could you explain the Kevlar clutch plate thing and how a person knows if they have them.

Right now I'm running a VFR800FI on Rotella 5W40 and a Bandit 1200 on Amsoil 10W40. Both have cheapo EBC cork clutches and are holding good after a couple of thousand miles. The VFR will get the same kind of oil as the Bandit here in a few weeks when I can find time the pull the body work to change the oil.

So far I like the cork clutch. At least I can't complain about the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back