Amsoil 20w-50 Severe Service (TRO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I did a search and couldn't find much on this oil. Would it be suitable for a motorcycle ? It looks to be "Jaso MB"

Also what makes this oil so expensive ? Is it superior to the regular motorcycle oil AMF/AMV .. Thanks

Go to the amsoil website. It states jaso MB, which means it meets that specific motorcycle spec. The MB spec means the oil has friction modifires that the MA spec does not. That doesent mean it will work better for every bike. Some bikes will have clutch problems with this spec. Its expensive because its a boutique oil, and sometimes people feel better when they pay more and buy this stuff, more often then not, unessessarily. I think amsoil likes to think they are the only really good oil out there, its kind of like they try to brainwash you when you read about thier oils. Dont fall for it. For cheap if your clutch doesent slip on it like it does on my suzuki dr350se (most bikes dont i here), i would go for mobil1 15w50.

This oil is more a racing oil or a Harley oil, in my estimation. Stick with oils marked as JASO MA for your Kaw...

Their other two 20W-50 products also have this MA certification, I believe.

If you live where it is pretty hot all the time, 20W-50 is an option: if you live in a cooler climate where you can (and do, hopefully) ride all year round, 10W-40 is probably the better choice, IMHO.

CHEERS!
cheers.gif

Thanks !! Is it an option to go to a blend on the AMF/AMV 10w-40/20w-50 .. I live in Texas but when I ran Mobil 1 15w-50 my bike didn't really like it. I'm thinking in the summer of running 3 quarts of 10w-40 and 1 of 20w-50 or half and half. Is this okay ? Will the 10w-40 not stand up to Texas summers ?

The TRO, uses higher ester basestocks combined with more(better) additive pack. I've heard some folks that have used it with good sucess, but for the money the AMV 20w50 V-twin is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back