Any Honda XR650R drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the process of breaking in my bike. After a few hundred miles I'd like to move to a synthetic. Was thinking about Mobil 1 15w50 and wanted to know if this works well in the bike. Especially if there is any clutch slippage or leaking. Also considering Mobil 1 5w40 for the winter or even full time since it supposedly has no moly.

Lots of guys use the Mobil 1 15W50 with good luck, but I would stay away from it since it has some (not a lot) friction modifiers in it now. It never used to have any, but now Mobil has changed it so it has some in it. Some have good luck with it, and some have clutch slippage. It will probably work on a new clutch, but I question if the clutch will last as long with it. I have a smaller XR and use Mobil 1 mx4t 10W40 motorcycle oil that is JASO MA rated. I am going to try Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil next time since it is about $3 a qt cheaper here. I was told by Amsoil that the 10w40 motorcycle and auto oil are the same and just packaged different for marketing purposes. They are both JASO MA rated with no FM's and are about $5.50 a qt.
I don't think I would use the 5w40, but I am not sure of the FM content. I think 10W40 is fine in the winter unless you are below zero. If you want a clutch safe winter oil, use Amsoil 0W40 4 stroke oil. It is about $6.25 a qt. I use this in my Polaris ATV year round.

They sell Amsoil at the Fleet Farm stores around here. $5.49 for 10W40 and 20W50, and 6.25 for 0W40. Autozone sells Mobil1 mx4t 10W40 for about $8.00 a qt. I've had good luck with Mobil 1, but I think the Amsoil will be just as good for $2.50 cheaper.

quote:

Originally posted by resslera:
I'd definitely use Amsoil for that price but I havn't seen it here in Colorado Springs where I live.

Well you can call me toll free
877-464-8798
, drop shipping to your door with the BITOG discount will probably be less expensive than any store.

I would use the Amsoil 10w40 year round with that bike.

I'd definitely use Amsoil for that price but I havn't seen it here in Colorado Springs where I live.

This topic is very pertinent for me. I am running Motul 5100 15w50 (blend) in my KTM 640 LC4, but I have M1 15w50 awaiting the next OCI due around Thanksgiving. I too wonder if the clutch will begin to slip, I'll keep you posted.

quote:

Originally posted by Cujet:
You will have no problem if you choose to run M1 15-50.

Chris

He may or may not. Every bike is different. Some have problems with it and some don't it is hit or miss. I would rather spend a buck or 2 more and know I won't have clutch problems.

FWIW I like the 10w-40 Amsoil a LOT better than the M1 15w-50 for my sportbike.

We had free dyno night at my bike shop. The XR650 pulled 39.5 (and was about the loudest bike there) I used to race a KX125 and 250 and a YZ250. If/when I get another dirt bike it'll probably be a 2-stroke, although I hear the CRF450's are really great bike..

BTW, a Honda Shadow 750 pulled like 39.2, odd that they're so close.

I wouldn't run anything but a 50wt in a XR. I run amsoil S2k 20W50 in my XR 400. I have measured oil temps as high as 255F with a IR gun after a mild ride on pavement. Theses temps are at the oil cooler at highway speed. I can only guess how hot it get when its riden hard in the trees or on the track. Also these bikes gear boxes shear an oil down at least one grade in 8 hrs. Somebody did a UOA on an XR with syn oil and pretty low hrs. the results weren't good. I start with a heavy oil so I still at least have a 30wt at the end of the interval

quote:

Originally posted by OffOrWFO:
I wouldn't run anything but a 50wt in a XR. I run amsoil S2k 20W50 in my XR 400. I have measured oil temps as high as 255F with a IR gun after a mild ride on pavement. Theses temps are at the oil cooler at highway speed. I can only guess how hot it get when its riden hard in the trees or on the track.

I have a dual sported XR400 with a White Brothers oil temperature gauge/dipstick. Believe it or not my XR has ALWAYS shown higher oil temps on the road than aggresive trail riding.
dunno.gif

My guess is the air flow somehow is missing the oil cooler at higher speeds.

Al

I appreciate all the replies. The XR650 is a blast and I plan to keep this thing until I can no longer kick it over
smile.gif
The bike has a crap load of power and since I mad it street legal I'm realizing how fun it is on the street. It amazes me the power difference even in stock form compared to my modified DR350.

msparks,

If you don't mind please drop me an email at [email protected] to let me know your prices individually or in lots of 12 to include shipping.

thanks,

Aaron

As I mentioned before, M1 15-50 will work just fine on the XR650. I have plenty of time on that bike, I installed a HRC power up kit. That included the piston, cam, head work, carb work, airbox work and a homemade straight through exhaust and header. Believe me, I know that bike fairly well.

Those bikes tend to overheat down here in Florida. Especially with the corked up stock exhaust and carb. Installing the HRC power up kit really brings the engine to life. The RWHP goes up about 10HP. Even with all that extra power the stock clutch will not slip with M1 15-50.

And, that bike is hard on oil, mostly due to the temperatures it runs. It will boil over here in Florida even with a 1.6bar cap.

I am sorry for not being as clear in my first post. I guess I left it open for debate.

Chris

About 20 years ago, I ran an XL350R. I loved that bike and ran it on plain old Rotella 15W-40. My old man ran a fleet of trucks and he would bring it home from work so that's what went in. This was before it was popular to run HDEO in motorcycles. I put almost 50,000 miles on it, alot of chains, sprockets, tires, ect. but the engine kept running. Finally it was stolen from in front of my apartment. I felt like I lost a girlfriend.

Cujet,

Thanks for the specifics. Probably will atleast try the 15w50 as that seems like an ideal grade for this bike I can run year round. Others have said the same thing about the latest version of M1 15w50 running fine in the XR.

You're right about the boiling over. Never had a problem until riding mine in traffic yesterday. After sitting at a few red lights I could see some bubbles coming up in my resovoir. I plan on uncorking soon!

quote:

Originally posted by TLAR640:
I too wonder if the clutch will begin to slip, I'll keep you posted.

Just a follow up, after the first 20 mile ride with red cap M1 15w-50, the trans shifts great, the engine seems quieter at idle, and no clutch slippage. I wonder how M1 15w50 EP will compare to the 'red cap'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back