Motorcycle storage question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

This question is for my Dad. Ok, he has a '97 Honda Shadow VT1100C with a wet clutch. Now he knows before you put it away your supposed to change the oil and filter.

Currently he's running M1 15w50 and a supertech filter. It's been in there for roughly 5000 miles. For storing the bike he will be using either M1 10w40 Vtwin or Amsoil 10w40 Vtwin. He wants to avoid changing the filter before storage. He wants to just drain it, then refill with new oil before storage.

Now after storage for next season. He wants to try and keep the oil that was in there for storage. Is it necessary to drain and refill with fresh oil when he starts riding next season or can he use the storage oil?? Obviously he will change the filter after storage season is over. Thanks,,,,,,,AR

No comment in 5 hours? I'll take a stab.

I wonder why does he want to avoid changing the oil filter?

In any event, after he changes the oil filter next spring, I'd run it with the fresh stuff he dumped in it this fall. Many bikes aren't lucky enough to have that kind of of preventative maintenance.

Years ago in MI, I'd never winterize my Honda 750 - you never knew when you'd get a nice dry day to take her out and run her through the gears in the Water-Winter Wonderland..... A pleasant change of pace from the sleds.

Another thought would be to put some stabil in the tank too if he's gonna tuck it away long term. But if he doesn't, it'll be alright come spring anyways. Its liquid cooled right? If so, I'd make sure the anti-freeze is up to snuff if its kept in an unheated garage.

[ October 15, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: bulabula ]

Change that filter!! Geez, it's $2.07, and 5000 miles old! his oil choices are ok, but why put new fresh oil in, and leave an old filter in? change it all, Stabil the tank ( trust me, you won't regret doing it), and come next spring, just crank it and go!

Ar,

The 10w40 Amsoil is a great oil for storage, it has plenty of TBN to combat corrosive acids. You should have no problem changing the oil, running the bike for a while then putting it away for the winter. Put a trickle charger on it put some Amsoil gasoline stabilzer in the tank(be sure you add that before you stop running it so the whole fuel system can have the benifit.

Also make sure you have the tank fully topped up. This will help prevent any rust in the tank.

Next year when you fire it up, so run like new. I've done this on several pieces of equipment.

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
Come spring time of next year, change the oil again with either M1 or Amsoil 10w40 Vtwin and a new filter, not sure of which brand, probably Amsoil. Thanks,,,,,AR

Oh if he would change the filter and the oil, there will be no need to change the oil again in the spring. As long as he is not running it during the winter, they oil will be fine.

Also the 10w40 is not the V-twin. That is the 20w50(AMV). But I'm 99% positive (10w40 AMF) is the proper oil for a honda shadow

Hey,

Yea I do wish he would change the filter before storage but hey, it's his bike. I can only advice him what to do, I really don't care what he actually decides to do with it.

IMO, the better way to go would probably be to run a cheap dino 10w40 Vtwin, change the filter, FP in the tank for storage, clean it all up and put a fresh coat of wax on there for storage.

Come spring time of next year, change the oil again with either M1 or Amsoil 10w40 Vtwin and a new filter, not sure of which brand, probably Amsoil. Thanks,,,,,AR

Put stabil in the fuel, change the oil and filter, then park it. In the spring get it out and ride it like it just came out of a service shop with fresh oil.

I agree that there is no need to change the storage oil as long as it is never run during the winter.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
I agree that there is no need to change the storage oil as long as it is never run during the winter.

Hey,

I learned that oils when there in engines and that are not used much, they build up acids in them overtime. Is this true?? I was thinking of maybe adding some LC to the bike both before and after storage, would this be a good idea?? Thanks,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:

Hey,

I learned that oils when there in engines and that are not used much, they build up acids in them overtime. Is this true?? I was thinking of maybe adding some LC to the bike both before and after storage, would this be a good idea?? Thanks,,,,AR

My understanding is that the acids can form over time if dirty used oil is left in an engine. The byproducts of combustion can turn into acids that can corrode the engine. That is why they always suggest changing the oil before storing an engine. I would think that draining the oil and refilling with a clean batch of fresh oil would be more than enough to protect against this especially if it is only being stored for the winter. If it was stored for years I would probably change it before driving it. That is what I always do and have never had problems.

I would fill the gas tank up with a gas/stabil fuel mix. For long term storage also a good idea is to unhook the fuel line from the carb, plug it and run the bike until the carb is sucked dry. Most anyone who has been around bikes long enough has ran into a gummed up carb because of storage over a long period of time, in which you have to clean the carb(s) for the bike to run like it should. After the bike has ran out of gas, change the oil/filter, take the plug(s) out, hit the starter for a few second's, spray engine fogger through the plug holes, throw the plugs back in, and trickle charge the battery. With clean oil in the bike, it is not used and acidic to hurt anything.

Ok we dumped the M1 15w50 and replaced with M1 MX4T 10w40 Vtwin along with 3oz of LC, which translates to a ratio of 1oz per quart. The exact capacity is 3.3 quarts according to the manual. He got the right stuff but he bought a STP motorcycle filter. I don't know much about STP motorcycle filters or how well they perform.

I offered to him if he wanted to do a UOA on the 15w50 but he doesn't want to because they bike only has 7700 miles on it and it's a 97. Funny thing is, he still considers it a new engine. I don't understand this but alright. So will see how it goes,,,,,,AR

I have another storage question.

Should I leave stabill-ed fuel in the float bowls, or run them dry?

dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by speedy341:
I have another storage question.

Should I leave stabill-ed fuel in the float bowls, or run them dry?

dunno.gif

I've done it both ways with good luck. I usually use Seafoam in place of Stabil and run the engine for a whileto make sure it gets through the carb.

Here's what I do on my Yamaha FZR600 to winterize it:

1. Add Stabil to gas tank and fill it up.
2. Ride it home, shut off the fuel petcock and let the engine run out of fuel.
3. Change oil and oil filter.

I also do a few other things like clean/lube the chain, check the other fluid levels (antifreeze, brake, etc.) and take the battery into the house (and throw it on a trickle charger once in a while).

In the spring, I check the oil (using the sightglass) to see if it has become milky over the winter (which it has before) from moisture getting into the oil. If it looks fine, I just throw the battery back in and ride it. If it looks bad, I just change the oil.

I don't believe in using a different oil for storage. I don't plan on starting it in the winter, so I don't worry about needing a good winter viscosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back