New Polaris ATV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Y'all,

Got me a 600 Twin Sportsman ATV. The dealer was telling me to stick with "genuine" Polaris Lubes. Well, I don't neccessarily want to! Polaris recommends 0w40. I'm sure it's a good oil they use, it's called Pure Polaris Synthetic.
I just want to use the best oil. I believe Polaris charges a butt load at around $10 a quart...But $ doesn't make that big of deal, I'll spend a lot more than that for my new machine.

M1 0w40???
wink.gif
grin.gif

Chicken or the egg?Did Polaris spec their oil vis or did Amsoil release this first?
 -

Actually I believe the Polaris oil is pretty good stuff. Some dealers seem to really charge through the nose for it and some are pretty good. My dealer is small and only charges $5.75 per qt(which I think is fair). He also sells Amsoil 0W40 4 stroke oil for the same price. I have used both and can't really tell the difference. I have been using the Amsoil for the last 2 changes with good results. It starts good in the dead of winter and seems to be protecting well in the heat of summer. I use it because there are 2 different places that sell Amsoil that are closer than the dealer.
I suspect that the Mobil 1 0W40 is good stuff, and I have heard of people running it with good results. What I don't know is if the Polaris and Amsoil oils have more additives because they don't have to worry about the emissions and cat-converters etc. Have fun with the new machine.

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
Chicken or the egg?Did Polaris spec their oil vis or did Amsoil release this first?

This came out in response to Polaris specing a 0W40. This is what I was referring to in the previous post.

Thanks for the responses already!

No, I'm not against using Pure Polaris oils, I just don't know anything about them. IF it's good stuff, I'll use that. I found it cheaper online...

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Doug:
Howdy Y'all,
\ I'm sure it's a good oil they use, it's called Pure Polaris Synthetic.
I just want to use the best oil. I believe Polaris charges a butt load at around $10 a quart...But $ doesn't make that big of deal, I'll spend a lot more than that for my new machine.

M1 0w40???
wink.gif
grin.gif

When did Polaris get into the Lube Market? Hmmm between them and Geniune Harely Davidson Oil I wonder who "makes" the best. Could it be farmed out to the lowest bidder? I wonder.

Amsoil 0w40 will work for you, at a lower cost, even at the retail price.

Doug,
FWIW,on my Sportsman 700, I use the following lubes. Amsoil 10W-40 for motor oil, Amsoil 75W-90 gear oil in the rear diff, Amsoil type F synthetic tranny fluid in the front diff, and use either Polaris gear lube or Amsoil chaincase lube in the tranny. My machine has the same drivetrain setup as your SP 600. Nothing at all against the Polaris stuff, I just think I'm using better lubes.

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
The Polaris 0W-40 is a good product and is made by Lube-Tek. My local dealer sells it for $5.50 a quart.

I guess this is a blending company in the Twin Cities in MN. I saw a website but I can't find it now. The Polaris and Amsoil both seem to be a good choice. The only way to find out the difference would be a VOA or UOA from these engines. The 10W40 is fine for the warm Alabama climate, but for MN I like the 0W40.

I have the Sportsman 400 so the transmission, front, and rear end are different. I have been using the Polaris transmission lubes changed once a year.

Lube Tek also is an oil distributor providing bulk oil for shops. Perhaps they buy it from someone else?

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back