M1 Engine Oil/75W-90 (Tranny) in 92 Harley FXSTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a bit of thought and reading various posts here and other sites i finished Monday in changing my engine oil to Mobil 1 15W-50 Red Top and transmission to Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil in 75W-90. The bike has 30,000 miles on it, i bought it new in 92. Has an oil cooler, at this point used a lot in stop-n-go traffic in temperatures that can approach 115 during the day. Main reason for the lube change was hoping to get a bit better high temperature protection and maybe a bit better shifting, although Harley 5 speeds won't ever equal the rice burners trannys for smoothness.

Well, after changing all the fluids and running it a bit the major changes i see are:
1. Bike will easily pull the front end off the ground anytime in the first three gears.
2. Top speed now approaches 200 MPH, wide open throttle is NOT an option, the acceleration is simply to intense and subjects the rider to blackouts from the G forces.
3. No transmission gear changes need to be made, with the new oil the transmission automatically selects the best gear without any rider input.
4. Gas miliage has improved from somewhere in the high 30's to will over 140 miles per gallon

Well okay, none of that is true but from some of the claims i heard i thought it was possible. My favorite claim was someone claiming a 2% increase in gas miliage. That 2% could have been a result of him eating beans for dinner, honestly, how can you document/claim a 2% increase in gas miliage? Like most things, believe all of what i say, but little of others posts!

In all honesty, i cant tell a difference. If anything the shifting maybe a bit stiffer, especially in upshifts. No leaks noted but the change over just completed a few days ago, will continue to monitor for leaks.

Has anyone else noticed any major differences with a change from dino Harley oil to synthetic? If so, were the changes immediately noted or occur after some usage?

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:
After a bit of thought and reading various posts here and other sites i finished Monday in changing my engine oil to Mobil 1 15W-50 Red Top and transmission to Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil in 75W-90. The bike has 30,000 miles on it, i bought it new in 92.

In all honesty, i cant tell a difference. If anything the shifting maybe a bit stiffer, especially in upshifts. No leaks noted but the change over just completed a few days ago, will continue to monitor for leaks.

Has anyone else noticed any major differences with a change from dino Harley oil to synthetic? If so, were the changes immediately noted or occur after some usage?

I have a 2000 Fat Boy (88 with counterbalanced engine). I have few miles on the scooter (less than 8,000) and used H-D's S3 for the last change in all 3 places. I have about 2500 miles on this OCI. However, shortly thereafter I took it out of the tranny because Bel-Ray gear oil worked marginally better.

I am not so impressed with S3, and a friend of mine stopped using it because he was getting high oil consumption with it in his big twin. I will probably try Mobil 20w-50 V twin or Castrol's version of V twin oil at the next change.

H-D's may not shift like their pacific rim counterparts (I loved all 7 of the rice grinders I owned), nor be as fast, but I love em'.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

The advantages may not be readily seen, but they will be there.

The engine should run cooler on the M1. If it doesn't, you have the dubious distinction of being feller number 1 on that list; everyone else reports cooler operating temps.

If you ever do overheat, the M1 will hold the fort down. If you get it hot enough the dino will break down on you.

You'll have cleaner internals due to the M1's better base and additive package. The Harley oil can and will sludge up much more easily than the syns.

Viscosity retention on the synthetic will be far, far superior.

Either oil will work, but the synthetic will serve your engine better.
smile.gif

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
The advantages may not be readily seen, but they will be there.

The engine should run cooler on the M1.

If you ever do overheat, the M1 will hold the fort down. If you get it hot enough the dino will break down on you.

You'll have cleaner internals due to the M1's better base and additive package. The Harley oil can and will sludge up much more easily than the syns.

Viscosity retention on the synthetic will be far, far superior.

Either oil will work, but the synthetic will serve your engine better.
smile.gif

Dan

and that is the primary reason i changed. Just really a quick, discreet slam at people that claim life changing experiences....lol

[/qb][/QUOTE]I have a 2000 Fat Boy (88 with counterbalanced engine). I have few miles on the scooter (less than 8,000) and used H-D's S3 for the last change in all 3 places. I have about 2500 miles on this OCI. However, shortly thereafter I took it out of the tranny because Bel-Ray gear oil worked marginally better.

I am not so impressed with S3, and a friend of mine stopped using it because he was getting high oil consumption with it in his big twin. I will probably try Mobil 20w-50 V twin or Castrol's version of V twin oil at the next change.
H-D's may not shift like their pacific rim counterparts (I loved all 7 of the rice grinders I owned), nor be as fast, but I love em'.
cheers.gif

Bob W. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Look hard at some of the analysis of M1 red cap Vs. "V-Twin". Basically i think it hype...Mobil's way of offering a same weight oil as harley specifies...and i promise ya one thing, if it has the Harley name on it...its over priced...
grin.gif

"Look hard at some of the analysis of M1 red cap Vs. "V-Twin". Basically i think it hype...Mobil's way of offering a same weight oil as harley specifies...and i promise ya one thing, if it has the Harley name on it...its over priced..."

Good advice. I got a sort of "off the record" nod from a Mobil 1 tech to go on and use the redcap rather than pay double for the V-twin.

The only difference in the VOA's would be a tad of moly in the redcap (but not nearly enough to cause any problems with clutches) and a slight difference in ZDDP. The redcap has "more than enough" and the V-twin has a "little bit more than enough." Big whoop. Viscosity of the redcap is looking good in UOA's I've seen. It stays close to its 50 weight rating long after the 20W50 dinos (including Harley's own oil) are approaching the 30 weight mark.

Change the redcap out every 3000 to 5000 miles (your preference) and you'll be way ahead of the game. When it comes to the 50's I think the redcap is the most syn for the money.

Dan

I have seen lower engine oil temps and no oil loss with Amsoil 20W50 in my 02 TC88. With HD 360 oil I had to keep topping up the oil (no leaks) throughout the oci, now it does not burn or boil any away.

I've got an '02 Road King and changed the oil at 1k miles to the Harley Syn 3 in all cavities. Not being satisfied...shifting rough, noisy when hot. I switched to Mob. V-twin Super Syn 20-50w at 5k, and put 75-90W Mob.syn gear oil in the tranny. So far...shifts considerably smoother,and engine quiter when hot. I can also pull wheel stands for 20 yards, and have lost 15 lbs. Great stuff.

Hmmmm.....well, had the transmission fluid changed to Mobil One 75W-90 about a four hundred miles now. While cool the tranny shifts well but as it heats up shifting gets more "notchy" and its hard to catch neutral from a dead stop. Clutch is adjusted to specs and tranny shifted great even when hot when the "Harley" transmission fluid was in the bike? What is everyone's opinion? Go back to the "Harley" oil (UGH!) or try something different, maybe a 140 wt? Thoughts?

Okay, my experience with synthetic lubricant in a 93 FXSTC. Redline 15w50 in the engine, Amsoil 10w40 in the primary & Redline MT90 in the tranny.

1. engine runs cooler, but it has been an unusually cool summer. I'm not sure if I like this because the oil temp hasn't gone above 175F.

2. tranny shifts MUCH better than with the harley semi synth tranny lube.

I haven't noticed any power change or change in gas mileage.
dunno.gif

Well, i have had the M1 Redcap in the engine (92 FXSTC) for about a thousand miles. I check my gas miliage with every tank, with conventional oil i was getting around 30 miles to the gallon. Now the overall average is around 35 mpg. I realize this isnt a labratory run controlled test but i think the gas miliage change is for real.

I still have the M1 75W-90 gear oil in the tranny. No real change here, shifts fine when cool but neutral a bit hard to find when at a standstill. I havent changed the M1 gear oil out because i am not sure what, if anything would work better. Ideas?

(2005 XL1200C) I've noticed since the weather has turned cooler here in South Texas, my first few shifts are very clunky, more so than the traditional Harley "Clunk". I'm running M1 15W-50 in the engine, but stock Harley Sport Trans in the primary/transmission. Obviously, the Sport Trans Fluid is too thick when cold, so a Syn is probably in order. Any suggestions from a Sporty owner?

honus, i own a 1200xlh sportster. i was using mobil 1 15w50 in the motor and tranny. recently changed over to amsoil. they recommend the amsoil 20-50 for the tranny and motor. the 10w40 is for the sportbikes and japanese metric v-twins. they are also doing the amsoil 20-50 in all the holes for the twin cam 88's too. shiny side up. penz

[ January 08, 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: penzdude ]

I used M1 15W50 in my 99 FXST (before I sold it and just got my new BMW R1150RT!) and M1 75W90 in the tranny for 4 years.... that combo worked great. I used the Valvoline motorcyle 10W40 in the primary a few times as well. On one of my 5 runs to Sturgis, I talked with a Mobil Rep at their "booth" and he kinda off the record told me that the M1 15W50 was purty much the same stuff as their twice as expensive 20W50 V-Twin and that it works great in the Harley motor...... and that their 75W90 gear lube would last years in a Harley Tranny and was probably overkill.........
I'll be runnin' the 15W50 in the Beemer when I get several thousand on the clock and will be using the M1 75W90 in the tranny and rear end at the frist change. BTW, when a friend switched to M1 synthetic in his 97 Fatboy, he got a 10 degree temp reduction..... NICE!

JP

sturgis sounds like a blast. wish i could go there one day. maybe when i retire. 6yrs and counting! long way from south east va though. maybe some of my bro's can go in on a trailer and tote em' in. i'll bring the 1200xlh. leave the zrx1200 home.....in case the 1%'s get riled up, lol. penz

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
sturgis sounds like a blast. wish i could go there one day. maybe when i retire. 6yrs and counting! long way from south east va though. maybe some of my bro's can go in on a trailer and tote em' in. i'll bring the 1200xlh. leave the zrx1200 home.....in case the 1%'s get riled up, lol. penz

******* It's a great time........ TONS of Harleys of course..... but I tell you what.... I bet my new Beemer gets more looks than my softail EVER did.......... just another bike lost in the crowd!

JPP

quote:

Originally posted by JPP:

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:

******* It's a great time........ TONS of Harleys of course..... but I tell you what.... I bet my new Beemer gets more looks than my softail EVER did.......... just another bike lost in the crowd! now ya have to ride your harley to a bmw event. kinda like a pit bull at a poodle show! lol, penz

JPP

[ January 10, 2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: penzdude ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back