Chevron 5w-20 for ATV engine break-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ordered a new cam, follower and rings for my Kawasaki quad.

I was thinking that I will want the oil to pump to the new camshaft as quick as possible. Can't prime it w/o it running.

Also I noticed that the Chevron 5w-20 has quite a bit of Moly which should help protect my new cam during break in and it should pump to the top end quickly?

I have some Torco assembly lube which claims to have Moly in it. I plan on putting it on the new cam and follower. I saw some of their Magnetic friction reducer yesterday
grin.gif
Might add a small amount to the oil too.

I'm not too worried about the wetclutch. I have had it slip when using oil with Moly in it but as soon as I changed the oil it was fine again.

I plan on running the oil long enough to get the T-stat to open, get it filled with coolant and maybe a 20-30 minute ride.

I'll drain it at this point.

Good, bad idea?

Chris it seems like a sound plan. Though I would use an HD30 oil and assembly lube on the new cam. Pull the spark plug out an turn the motor over enough for the oil light to go out. Replace the plug, start it, look it over and go for a 30 minute ride to run the cam in. Then change the oil and filter.

If you are not worried about the wet clutch some GM EOS in the oil during a new cam install is the only way to go.

The bike is a kickstart and has no oil light or guage.

I thought of SAE30 but thought it would take too long to pump up to the top end.

Currantly the quad has SAE60 oil in it! Gonna drain it (cold) before I put the top end back together.

I was unable to find Chevron 5w-20 so I bought 2 qts of Pennz.

if you wanna prime the sucker without putting a load on it hold a rope in one hand and have someone in a car or truck pull you around in 4th gear for a minute at 10-20mph. make sure to have the spark plug removed while being pulled and there will be little resistance. jusyt wrap the rope around the handlebars 2 times and hold it with one hand.

we awalys do this to new bikes or new rebuilt motors because it saves the electric starter and its easier than pushing the suckers around in gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back