kawasaki 95 police bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently has 64k miles on it, How long do you all think it can go before engine dies, currently well taken care of, don't know about before, but runs well.

thanks for opinions.

Those guys are tough engines .

It's getting some leak down now from the valves but will run to 100k or so if not tortured . The bottom end will last a long time if oil is changed and driven according to what helps engines last .

I would buy a new petcock kit to prevent a crankcase full of gas someday . Gas is a pretty good engine cleaner , just not the one of choice
tongue.gif

I read yrs ago that they were known for running hot in the head area. enough that the oil would sludge and coke, restricting oil flow, thereby causing failures. I would run a good 20w50 synthetic such as amsoil to help clean it out. otherwise most of those air-cool inline 4s are good for 200k or longer if well maintained.

Motorbike: compression is right at about 180 on all 4 cylinders...very minimal variation between cylinders. So can't be leaking down on the valves too much. The valves do make a little bit of noise so probably needs adjustment. Better a little noise than too tight though, thats when you cook em.

Duster: Don't know about the police version, my old kz1000 (1980 mk20) I puchased it from chopper pilot who ran strictly gtx 20w50. Top end was spotless at 40k miles on that one. I haven't had this one apart yet so remains to be seen.

Currently using delo 400 15w40. Plan on going to red cap 15w50 next oci.

Thanks for the imput guys. I appreciated and have a much more confy feeling now that I figure it should run for a while
grin.gif

r.

Friend of mine who was a Kawasaki nut in the early 80's bought a late 70's Kawasaki that was a "police bike". He said he had contacted the factory and the police bikes contained "heavy duty" parts, usually brakes and some other assorted chassis parts that frequently seen high usage from police departments. He said the person from the factory referred to police bikes as the "John Deere" version of the KZ1000, meaning it was built to be as reliable as possible. If i remember correctly, the engines were stock.

I did some road racing at a local track with a 77 KZ 1000 and they were pretty bulletproof. Handling was on par with that era which, compared to now, was horrible! I ran the crap out of that KZ, track time a lot of weekends, daily rider the rest of the time. Castrol GTX motor oil from the Air Force Service Station at like 60 cents a quart. Changed the oil every 1500-2000 miles and when i sold it @52,000 miles it ran very well with virtually no oil usage. Good bikes.

That is good to know richard, I was wondering about that....I didn't like the 5 in 5w40 so stayed away from it, might re-think that though....

thanks..

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
Motorbike: compression is right at about 180 on all 4 cylinders...very minimal variation between cylinders. So can't be leaking down on the valves too much.

You will not know unless you perform a leak down test on it but still your first post and the replies to it are in general concerning how long the engine will last .

Kinda hard to see it , hear it run and depict how it will be used and maintained from here behind the keyboard
smile.gif

the valves were a little out of spec. off by about .002. will adjust and re-check. bike will be used for highway cruising mostly and will be well maintained. Thanks for the imput.

r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back