Loud engine clatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

My Dad was returning home from a ride tonight and I noticed the engine in his bike (97 Shadow 1100) was clattering very loudly!! I swore the engine noise was louder than the exhaust! It worried me. The engine is mechanically sound as far as everything being in working order. He only drives the bike in excellent weather conditions and runs it pretty hard but not abusive.

He's currently running M1 15w50 red cap with a SuperTech filter. Currently has 3000 on the oil and filter. This is the first time I have ever heard the engine rattle this much. I've heard some Honda Cruisers tend to clatter alittle but tonight when my dad returned home this was very loud and it worries me alot! Please advice!! Thanks,,,,,,AR

Does the bike have hydraulic lifters? Your description sounds like lifter clatter. Some bikes are prone to lifter clatter if the oil level is too high. What happens in that situation is that the frothing of the oil occurrs (air gets whipped into the oil). This air/oil mix isn't think enough to keep lifters from collapsing which results in a clatter. It's usually more noticable at low rpms, either due to lower oil pressure or the lack of other noise that might mask the clatter at higher rpms.

quote:

Originally posted by DNS:
Does the bike have hydraulic lifters?

No

I'd pull the cam covers and check/adjust valve lash and make sure the cam chain tensioner was working properly.

I'd change the oil and listen. The sound you described made me think of either valve train or clutch basket rattle.

Either way, I'd dump the oil for some new stuff, I'd use dino for cost reasons, then start her up and listen.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:

quote:

Originally posted by DNS:
Does the bike have hydraulic lifters?

No

I'd pull the cam covers and check/adjust valve lash and make sure the cam chain tensioner was working properly.

At least some Shadow models, such as the 1100 Aero used hydraulic lifters (ie, valve adjusters).

Hey,

ok guys I need to make a correction. Apparently there was some miscommunication between me and Dad. The bike does have hydraulic lifters! So that was my bad. My apologies,,,AR

Hey,

I just asked him if the bike has hydraulic lifters and he said no it doesn't. I'm still open of others. Thanks,,,,,AR

Hey,

Thanks for chiming in!

My dad went out for a ride this morning and he came back with the same noise as before.

I've been talking with him and he says what he really needs to do is get his carbes sinked(sp?)

I'm still open if anyone else has some pointers or suggestions. Thanks,,,AR

All 1100 Shadows have hydraulic lifters. I would check the clutch basket first (proper bolt torque) then the cam chain tensioner second. Out of synced carb won't produce a rattling sound.

Hey,

ok now that we have the hydraulic lifters issue cleared, this brings me to another question. Is it safe to use LC in a wet clutch bike?? Thanks,,,,AR

The Mobil 1 "red cap" SL version will not work as it it did with the SH and SJ versions. It has less Zinc and Phos, and i was told it had fricyion modifiers. I wouldn't use it in my bike.

I still have no idea why people still think the 15w/50 Mobil 1 will ruin a wet clutch setup/ cause engine damage in a motorcycle. I have been using it for years (even the new SuperSyn) in my '97 and never had a problem. I even had a sample tested after almost 3900 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by road_rascal:
I still have no idea why people still think the 15w/50 Mobil 1 will ruin a wet clutch setup/ cause engine damage in a motorcycle. I have been using it for years (even the new SuperSyn) in my '97 and never had a problem. I even had a sample tested after almost 3900 miles.

Because alot of people have had MC clutches start slipping on M1 15W-50. I was a big skeptic too until it happened to me. I think it may have something to do with the friction disc materials.

Early 1200cc Suzuki Bandits invariably developed clutch slip on M1 15W-50. Even at 100-115 hp when the clutch was beefed up enough to handle 150 hp on other oils.

If your clutch doen't slip on it, that's good for you.

Yes- the early Bandits did have a problem- but the clutches slipped no matter what oil was used. The newer models have a larger clutch cylinder, revised clutch spring and use different clutch materials.

My 1200S Bandit's clutch is slipping right now with Amsoil AME 15W-40; I'll go back to dino shortly.

Bike's got 3700 miles, with 200 on the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by road_rascal:
Yes- the early Bandits did have a problem- but the clutches slipped no matter what oil was used. The newer models have a larger clutch cylinder, revised clutch spring and use different clutch materials.

If you replace one of the stock diaphram springs with a Barnett spring the nearly stock clutches would take 150hp while only having about 20% more pull at the lever. It didn't take a new clutch to fix the problem. I knew dozens of people in the Bandit forums that made that mod and it worked.

Once the clutch had been slipped much on synthetic though, it took new friction plates. Mine is only 115 rwhp, but I rode it couple of days with minor slip on M1 15W-40 before I changed to 15W-40 hdeao and added the Barnett spring. The clutch has soldiered on for over 20,000 miles with no signs of any problems.

Hey,

My Dad wants to stick with M1 15w50. Thus far besides the clatter the bike runs fine. I tried to talk him into the M1 V twin 20w50, though he doesn't feel it's necessary to fork over the greens for that stuff. His bike after all.

Is it safe to use LC in a wet clutch bike?? Thanks,,,,AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back