Oil for an old BMW boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My motorcycle is a BMW R65 ´79 . I bought her a couple years ago with 60000 miles and since then I added another 20000. The first year I used mineral oil 20W-50 SG and changed it every 1500 miles (most of them city riding in stop and go conditions). The last year I decided to go with synthetic blend oil specially for motorcycles but I couldn’t find the 20W-50 so I went for 15W-50 SG and I changed it every 2000 miles.

Still I have doubts if this was the best option.

The choice of the synthetic blend was due to the fact that it would be better for the high temperatures of an air-cooled engine in an environment such as Athens – Greece. The fact that it was 15W-50 instead of 20W-50 had the advantage of the oil getting faster to those critical points of the engine at the warming up period where the wear mostly occurs (or I at least that was my impression!).On the other hand this type of oil is to be used in temperatures until 30º and not close to 40º(these high temperatures are quite common here this time of the year).

However the last few months I find myself riding the motorcycle at quite high rpm in hot weather for extended periods of time and I am thinking that it might be worth looking in the market a bit harder for a synthetic blend at 20W-50.

To be a bit more specific the limit of the tacho of my R65 is at 8000rpm and I ride (not always but quite frequent) between 5500 and 6000rpm. I cover around 2000 miles every month or so and half of this mileage is done in the city in slow traffic conditions. Am I killing the engine, or I am worrying without reason? Which interval would you recommend for changing a synthetic blend under these conditions? Would be better to go back to dino oil and keep the changes even more frequent?

Thank you for your patience,
Stavros

nice bike. i have 78 r80/7. i use amsoil v-twin 20w50 and i'm pretty happy w/ it. i might go to a 15w40 in the winter, but i'm not sure. as i'm sure you know these bikes will go along time on just dino oil, but i like the longer drains that are capable w/ synthetic (i change mine every 3k-6k). i recommend putting a good synthetic gear oil in the transmission. w/ dino oil they seem to only last about 100k or so. i put amsoil's series 2000 75w90 in mine and noticed a big difference in the shifting.

have you done and performance mods to your beemer?

I see no probems at all with a 15W50 blend oil in your BMW. The 2000 mile OCI could possibly be stretched out to 3000+ miles easily as long as it's a quality oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back