Red Line oil w/wet clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Redline oils have a lot of Moly in them...moly makes some wet clutches slip...we won't know if it makes you bike slip until you try it.....
grin.gif

I read in one source that it was MoS2 that could cause clutch slippage. The problem was primarily in centrifugal clutches on scooters and not in motorcycles.

Redline uses MoTDC not MoS2 so you should be OK. I suspect Honda is just doing a CYA and recommending not using moly containing oils without specifying the actual moly compound to avoid.

I've run RedLine in 2 CBRs with no evidence of clutch slippage. As satterfi stated, I've heard it to affect centrifugal clutches and also occasionally hard mass (ie: carbon fiber) friction plates. I personally think its overblown seeing as even Honda has MoS2 in its HP4 oil. Their "new" non-moly HP4 was formulated in response to the "alleged" clutch slippage in the high torque VTX1800 and the RC51. But no one using other oils with moly has made any complaints of slippage in these bikes.

If I were you run a 20w50 wt and not the 10w40. I just posted a UOA of my amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil in my 03 954 and it sheared down to a low 30wt after only 2200 miles and a few track days. Amsoil and mobil both make good syn 20w50 that should work pretty well. The people that I have read about that have used a 50 wt instead have commented on how much smoother and quieter the transmission is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back