All-In-One for V-Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2005 XL1200 Custom. I've been reading the threads about oil types and crankcase blow-by (misting) in this and the V-Twin forums.
I haven't experienced the misting (oil in the air cleaner) problem yet, but I've decided to address the issue by re-routing the vent hose through a small filter and out the bottom of the frame. Seems like a simple and cheap fix.
Now, from what I've learned during the excessive amount of time reading this forum, it would seem that a HDEO would be a great three-in-one, or in the case of the Sportster, a great two-in-one lube for the V-Twins, if one is attempting to use one lube for all. My rational is based on the lack of Moly and the shear strength of HDEO's like Delo.
I've become a believer in Delo after it cured the start-up knock in my Ford modular and my Dad's GMC Denali.
Have I chosen the wrong fork in the road?

Hey...

Watch the info you're getting from the archives. Some of it isn't factual. I recently took some bait I shouldn't have...
frown.gif

Live and learn.

Call the techs at a couple of major oil makers and you'll get as close to the truth as you're going to.

Lube your tranny with gear oil, and the engine with a decent 20W50 oil. I'm using Mobil 1 15W50 in the crankcase and have no complaints. It's nearly as heavy at warm up as the 20W50, has 90 percent (WAY more than enough) of the additive package that the 20W50 VTwin Mobil 1 has--and costs HALF as much.

My Harley shifts much smoother with the Mobil 1 75W90 gear oil in the tranny. I used to have an occasional problem with the gear box going into neutral when downshifting from 5th to 4th gear. It hasn't happened once in 700 miles since switching the tranny lube from the Harly semi-synthetic to Mobil 1 75W90.

And for what it's worth, no 20W50 engine oil will ever be thicker in a properly functioning transmission than 75W90 dedicated gear lube. Call the guys at Mobil if you're interested in getting to the bottom of things.

Dan

[ August 08, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: fuel tanker man ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back