Synthetic or dino from factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could somebody explain to me how (or why) my Polaris ATV (air cooled) comes with synthetic motor oil in it from day 1, and which is recommended, while Honda power equipment (air cooled) comes with dino oil from the factory and synthetic is not even mentioned? I am using these 2 manufacturers for example only, but I do have experience with both. I can't see too much difference between the Robin-Suburu and Honda design, what am I missing?
confused.gif
Thanks in advance, Jim

You did mean to say water cooled for the Polaris, didn't you? At least most all of their newer lines are water cooled.

My guess is that Polaris has always used synthetics for extreme cold weather protection. They are, after all, based in MN and began in the snowmobile business. The weight of the synthetic oil is also 0W-40 in the ATVs.

I use a 10W-40 synthetic in my ATV down here in 'Bama.

[ July 09, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: 47HO ]

Polaris also makes a 330 air cooled motor for the Trailboss and the 330 Magnum. OW40 synthetic is recommended year round for all of their motors. I think the old "break in" on dino before going to syn is an "Old Wives Tail". I have used the Polaris and Amsoil 0W40 oils and both seem to work fine. Has anyone tried the Mobil 1 0W40 in their ATV. I assume it would work just fine. You are not really gaining anything by using a 10W40 because they should be the same viscosity at operating temperature.

quote:

You are not really gaining anything by using a 10W40 because they should be the same viscosity at operating temperature.

You are correct about the viscosity. However, I had shearing in mind. Since there is no way I would ever need a 0W down here, I figured why use an oil with a wider than necessary visc. spread.

quote:

Since there is no way I would ever need a 0W down here, I figured why use an oil with a wider than necessary visc. spread.

You are probably right. I would miss the winter drift busting down there.

HO47, it's an air cooled 330 ATP. I'm beginning to wonder about the no sythetic for XX amount of miles thingee also. Ferrari,Porsche,BMW,Mercedes all come with syn from the factory. I was curious why Honda doesn't say anything about synthetics. I am using Redline 10-40, it gets cold in the winter here but not THAT cold!

I didn't know that any of the newer Polaris' were air cooled. I learn something new everyday here!

BTW, Corvette is another vehicle that comes factory filled with synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back