A Harley oil quandry (a little long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody,
I'm another "oil nut" joining your community and just wanted to bounce an issue around with you.

My 2003 Harley FLHT is approaching first service time and I'd like to use Valvoline VR-1 racing 20w-50 or straight 50 (both dino), depending on season. Waitaminnit, before you
shocked.gif
, let me explain.

I looked at the VOA's for the H-D "360" 20w-50 and the Valvoline VR-1 20w-50, and have concluded that...
1. They're very close on Zn and P. (good anti-wear)
2. Valvo's Ca is nearly double.
3. Valvoline is substantially less expensive.
4. Valvoline api rated SJ/CD/SH. Harley? dunno.
5. HD 360 can't even get close to the latest fleet oils. (I compared numerous VOA's here, too)

What I can't understand is if Harley wants a CF or better oil, why is their own stuff so laim? Even the new Syn-3 isn't that great either.

I would also like to compare the test minimums for both a CF and an SJ or SL oil, in those areas that pertain to gasoline engines. Although my bike occasionally behaves like a diesel, it really isn't.
wink.gif
Sooo, why the diesel oil spec?

I will admit to you cognoscenti that I like Harleys, but their marketing machine I do not . Although my bike will probably get some form of high quality synthetic in the future, I like the idea of researching and experementing a little.

Unless expert opinion indicates I shouldn't try this, I'll go this route and post the UOA's as they happen.

Thanks in Advance,
veepster
patriot.gif

The Valvoline oils you selected for your bike will work very well. I see no problem with them at all. I have a buddy with a Buell and he is having very good luck with Delvac 15W40.

I don't know why the HD oil is laim. For the price they want for it it should be one of the best out there.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
The Valvoline oils you selected for your bike will work very well. I see no problem with them at all. I have a buddy with a Buell and he is having very good luck with Delvac 15W40.

I don't know why the HD oil is laim. For the price they want for it it should be one of the best out there.

You're right KW, I think so as well. The first choice for my bike was a fleet 15w-40 like Rotella, but I'm a little concerned about hot oil pressure because twin cam engines only run about 30 psi @2000 rpm. (and next to nothing at idle) If I install a good mechanical pressure gauge I might give that a try. Some diesel oils are offered in heavier monogrades like SAE 50 but I'm not sure how available they are.

regards,
veepster
patriot.gif

Hi guy's,Im also new here but I was under the impression that the new 88s had a better oiling system now than just a couple of years ago.Harley went to the oiling system that the sportster has been using since the mid 70s,and by what American Iron say's its the bomb now. Veepster I have 800 mile's or so on a new FLSTCIand Im going with Mobil1 vtwin 20w-50 in all cavities,thats what my dealer suggested,wt. wise,not oil.They said I could run what ever I wanted.

quote:

Originally posted by Tnford27:
Hi guy's,Im also new here but I was under the impression that the new 88s had a better oiling system now than just a couple of years ago.Harley went to the oiling system that the sportster has been using since the mid 70s,and by what American Iron say's its the bomb now. Veepster I have 800 mile's or so on a new FLSTCIand Im going with Mobil1 vtwin 20w-50 in all cavities,thats what my dealer suggested,wt. wise,not oil.They said I could run what ever I wanted.

Tnford27,

Yes, the "twinkies" do have a better oiling system. The best new development is the change to gerotor pumps (there's scavenge and pressure, 1 each) to increase volume. American Iron mag has been running a great series of tech articles on it recently. I've also heard good things about the M1 stuff, too.

Knowing that our rides have separate sumps, some guys are using "red top" M1 15w-50 in the engine to save some $$$. Even if the oil has friction modifiers in it (i.e. moly), the engine won't mind a bit 'cause the primary oil is separate. (no wet clutch issues)

If you're going synthetic, you might want to consider doing periodic oil analysis to get your money's worth from the oil. Then post your results in the Used Oil Analysis area. You'd be amazed at how long the stuff lasts. HD is pushing their SYN3 at $8.00+ a quart, but they didn't increase service intervals at all.
rolleyes.gif

Do a search in this topic area, keyword harley . Lots of good dialogue on the M1. Oh, BTW, watch your idle speed on twin-cams in hot weather. No less than 1,000 rpm! Evidently proper oiling drops sharply below this speed. Some guys drop them way down to get the "lope" but it isn't worth the cost in engine life IMHO.

Ride safe...
veeptser
patriot.gif

what is an twinkie? i swear i have never heard of a sportster called that before! lol, i have heard them called bar hoppers, sporties, etc, but a twinkie?
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
what is an twinkie? i swear i have never heard of a sportster called that before! lol, i have heard them called bar hoppers, sporties, etc, but a twinkie?
gr_eek2.gif

Hi penzdude,
somewhere I read that as a "term of endearment" for twin-cam in reference to the new (since 2000) big twins. I'm not so sure I like it either. We've got panheads, knucleheads, shovelheads, and evos... so what's the nickname for the twin-cams gonna be?
dunno.gif

Oops, I just hijacked my own thread
blush.gif

ride safe,
veepster
patriot.gif

veepster: I don't think that mine will Idle to low since it is a EFI,but thank's for the info. I will be making a trip to SmithBros.HD. pretty soon since I now have 1012 miles on my 2004FLSTCI.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:

Heh... you're assuming that there's a correlation between price and quality... not always true. Remember, you're talking about a Harley.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sjlee:

quote:

Originally posted by KW:

Heh... you're assuming that there's a correlation between price and quality... not always true. Remember, you're talking about a Harley.
smile.gif

HD oil is designed for the "new wave" harley owner. They have more $$$ than brains and won't buy anything for their bike that not licenced by Harley or sold at a Harley dealership.

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Jelly...your right again...M1 V-TWIN or Redline are the oils to use in the TC...

Ar, Amsoil..... I just won't chance messing with that 2cam running something other than full syn.

I have an account in El Paso that does pretty well with the Amsoil V-Twin 20w50. I think there are folks out looking for the stuff, just too bad you won't ever see it in AutoZone.

skunky, my bike has the 1200 evolution motor. i think the 15-50 would perform probably very close to the mobil v twinn 20-50, for half the price...but, ok, you got me, i do love her@@ ! lol
wink.gif
now, when my ruptured disc in my back gets fixed or whatever, i'll get to ride her again
dunno.gif

Ok...Ok...the 15-50 will work just fine...sorry about your back...my disc ruptured in '87...had to sell the Low Rider and get a dresser...see where your headed!!!Good luck...

skunky, thanks for the wishes about my back. **** , no fun at all that's for sure. missed going on a ride today w/ several neighbors. yeah, i tried to tell my wife that i think my back would do much better on an 04'electra glide but she wouldn't have any of it! lol, ride safe!
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Still running AMV 20W50 Amsoil in my TC88. Never have to top up and no leaks or crank failures as all the syn naysayers told me. Someday I will remember to send out a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back