Newb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, might as well admit it. I know nothing, but want to do things right the first time. I have a 94 Softail Nostalgia. I am without the owners manual and need to know what oils need to be changed, and where. The cycle has 30,000 miles on it, and has been taken faily good care of by the previous owner, but thought I would do all I can to take care of it.

I have been reading, and know that everyone has thier own opinions on what oils to use, so if you want to voice them, go ahead.

TIA

Dean

deaner, you might also consider getting the shop manual for this bike as well through harley. not only will they tell you what to use where, but when. they also will guide you through the steps on performing these tasks as well. i already have used mine to change my own motor oil, tranny/primary fluid, and am getting ready to do the fork oil change too. i think they are around $40.00 or so, but will pay for themselves in short order.
patriot.gif

welcome.gif

Can't say you know nothing, you know to come here on BITOG
grin.gif

In a nutshell for your bike:

Crankcase-20W-50, choose your flavor, or maybe Mobil 1 15W-50 for the big twins.

Transmission/Primary-I would personally go for a synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, again choose your flavor. Lots of folks like and recommend the Amsoil series 2000 stuff. Capacity is just less than a quart.

Chaincase-10W-40 motor oil, go for a synthetic here as well.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy motoring.

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
deaner, you might also consider getting the shop manual for this bike as well through harley. not only will they tell you what to use where, but when. they also will guide you through the steps on performing these tasks as well. i already have used mine to change my own motor oil, tranny/primary fluid, and am getting ready to do the fork oil change too. i think they are around $40.00 or so, but will pay for themselves in short order.
patriot.gif

I second this. A service manual is the first "accessory" I purchase for any vehicle I buy. A manual will answer all kinds of questions, I usually find myself reading a new one in the "throne room" from time to time.

Definately get the service manual, it is worth the money.

The motor oil 20W50
The Primary Chainsase oil 10W40 or 20W50
The Transmission oil 75W90 or 80W90

Harley will sell the above oils and they are also available just about everywhere.

Harley usually recommends changing these every 5000 miles or less if under severe service. Alot of people change the motor oil and filter at 2500-3000 miles and just do the primary and tranny at 5000. Make sure you change this stuff at least once a year if you don't put on too many miles. Most people like to have fresh motor oil in the crankcase when they put it away for winter or storage.

The brake fluid and front fork oil should be changed every couple of years as well. The manual will be even more specific about this.

I will add that I have been using Amsoil for all the oils in my Softail and have been very happy with it. Mobil1, Redline, and even Harley offer some great synthetic oils as well.

[ July 04, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: hk33ka1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back