dipstick woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's very hard to read the dipstick on my xlh 1200. it's chrome and the oil doesn't show up on the thing worth a dang. besides letting the oil get brown, gasp!, is there an additive or something on the market that will allow a better reading on a chrome dipstick?

Sand the area you want to read with a good quality 220 grit silicon carbide sandpaper. Just enough to rough up the surface a bit.

You can also drill a series of 1/16 inch holes along the stick low to full. Wipe and insert, the level is between the top filled hole and the next empty hole.

WDP

Here is something I tried on the dipstick of my restored 70 Mach 1. It wasn't a chrome stick but it was hard to see the fluid level as the stick was too light in color. I applied some gun bluing, used to protect the steel on a firearm. It darkened the background just enough to make the oil color contrast.

again thanks for the replys! i think i'm gonna try the gun blueing! just went today and got my official drivers licence. i've been riding with the motorcycle learners pemit where in va, you have to have a licenced rider with you at all times....er, well anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back