got brave

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey fellas, been reading th posts, but havn't been posting latley. just getting over a bad case of sciatica from saving my bike from crashing in the driveway from forgeting to put the kickstand down.
rolleyes.gif
i just recently changed the oil in my 1200 xlh sportster from the dino 20-50 harley oil to mobil 1 15-50. not having a temp guage, i'm not sure if the bike is running any cooler, but it sure feels smoother. i recieved a shop manual as well when i purchased the bike used from a co-worker. i was told that they had recently did the primary/tranny fluid as well, but wanting to go the full syn throughout the bike route, i bought a new clutch inspection o -ring and proceded to set about changing this fluid as well, using the before mentioned mobil 15-50. i have heard this has been used with good results as well as the amsoil 20-50, mobil 1 75w90 gear oil, and harleys own sport trans fluid. it takes 1 quart. after warming the bike, i removed the tranny/primary drain plug, and let all the fluid drain. the magnetic head of the bolt looked like a porcupine. covered w/ "fur". smelled alright, not burned or anything, but dirty looking as **** and the glitter in it surprised me too. anyway, after recruiting my 9yr old daughter to help hold the bike upright...i know, risky as heck but... i added the qt of the 15-50 mobil 1 through the impossibly small space you have to add it through, thank god for small funnels, and re-installed the clutch inspection cover using a small dap of the medium strength blue loctite on each of the 4 bolts. i started the bike, and proceded around the neighborhood for a few laps switching through the first 3 gears and then headed out onto the main road so i could get into 4th and 5th. man, what a difference! the bike shifts so much smoother it's like night and day. feels like a completly different motorcycle. i'm not sure if it was the mobil or just from it having long overdue service, but so far, i'm pleased as heck. not to mention a beleive i saved a pretty penny doing it myself! yee haa!!! ps, msparks, what happened to our ride? been going to boneshakers, give me a holler. penz
cheers.gif

[ June 21, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: penzdude ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back