Question for Bob (or anybody else)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so I've got a Sportster also. I've used M1 15w-50 in it for the last 12,000 miles, changing it about every 4-5k with no problems. However I've always thought the cams on mine were a bit on the noisy side. So I'm thinking about trying some of the Schaeffers #132 in with the Mobil. Do you think this would help with the cam noise, if not would it be good/bad for the rest of the engine? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this set up in an air cooled engine. (BTW oil temp usally runs about 180, never got it over 220) How hard are the gear to gear cams and oil pump on oil? And would I need to use it every oil change?
Also the last time I changed my trans/primary oil a friend gave me a quart of the new Syn3 to try. I will admit I can tell a little diffrence in it. The biggest improvement is with the 4th gear whine Sportys seem to have. I saw where another poster tried M1 75w-90 with no problems. Do you think this worth a shot? I always thought Sporty primary oil was a bit thin, and the thicker oil seemed to help, but a $9 a quart it seems a bit high. Just let me know what you think, oh and what do you run in yours? Thanks in advance.

quote:

. I saw where another poster tried M1 75w-90 with no problems. Do you think this worth a shot? I always thought Sporty primary oil was a bit thin, and the thicker oil seemed to help, but a $9 a quart it seems a bit high. Just let me know what you think, oh and what do you run in yours? Thanks in advance.

I'm probably the poster you are refering to. I am still using M1 75W-90 instead of the Sport-trans fluid. No problems so far, and it certainly shifts smoother. It's only been a few months though so try it at your own risk. I promise I will let everyone know, good or bad, how it came out. I have also run M1 15W-50 in the engine for several years. It runs about 20 deg. F. cooler than when I ran Harley 20W-50.

This thread may answer some questions about FM additives in regards to the Schaeffer's 132 use.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000227

Loads on gear teeth are usually quite high and the shearing forces tear up oil fairly quickly unless fortified with EP/AW adds. This is one of the reasons for creating "motorcycle specific" oils that have healthy doses of these since alot of bikes have shared sump/tranny set-ups. One of the drawbacks is that many have the clutches bathed in the same oil and too much EP/AW has been reported to cause clutch slippage. I personally haven't experienced this even with oils containing a good amount of Moly. Now all of this concern is moot with your bike since the crankcase and trans/primary cases are separate. I don't see why you shouldn't at least try the 132 but I don't know how long the "uptake" or plating process would be and whether this would necessitate adding more at each OCI.

I have lots of Harley friends using the M1 75W-90 with good results and performance. I'd say go for it. Even though its $9 a qt., you shouldn't have to change it as often as a regular gear lube so its cost would balance out.

Still waiting to hear from Bob. And, where can I buy the Schaeffers products? I looked at the board sponser but it looked like his website had very limited info on it.

quote:

Originally posted by martin:
Still waiting to hear from Bob. And, where can I buy the Schaeffers products? I looked at the board sponser but it looked like his website had very limited info on it.

If you know what you need, Mark has an e-mail address. I say drop him a line with your questions.

If you need technical info on Schaeffer products, check here http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back