Sourcing of filters for Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the best source for oil filters for a 2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom?

My bike can use any of the following (there are a few more):

Amsoil SDF 109
Fram PH6018
K&N 138
Napa 1359
Purolator ML16818
Wix 51359

If there is a Supertech equivalent that would be even better because of the low price.

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
......If there is a Supertech equivalent that would be even better because of the low price.

Doubt it. What make the filters for these Suzuki's different is that they use a 20x1.0mm thread pith were most metric spec filters for cars is 20x1.5mm. So find a cheaper car filter to use is pointless. I have use a STP SMO-18 with good results. STP sources their motorcyle filters from all over the world. My advice is to open or read the package and avoid any MC filter made in South Africa. QC is really ****** in that country. The S. Korea made MC filters are up to par.

Hootbro

[ June 15, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Does anyone know the best source for oil filters for a 2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom?

My bike can use any of the following (there are a few more):

Amsoil SDF 109

If there is a Supertech equivalent that would be even better because of the low price.

I use the SMF109 in our Suzuki SV 650. Although I'm a bit biased I've had no problems so far. (Only 1,000 miles)

I am sure there is nothing wrong with STP or Amsoil filters.

Thanks for the advice.

I admit that I do not worry about prices when it comes to oil (I use Amsoil on all my vehicles) but try to save some money on filters.

Makes no sense, doesn't it!

[/QUOTE]I use the SMF109 in our Suzuki SV 650. Although I'm a bit biased I've had no problems so far. (Only 1,000 miles) [/QB][/QUOTE]

You better get to riding. My TLS has been seeing alot of miles lately.

Hey, nice bike! I have one too! I've used the Fram PH6018 although I know they are not the greatest. It's the only brand I can find around here, which was at Canadian Tire. Even my Suzuki dealer uses them and doesn't have any OEM filters, which I tried to get.

Binmonkey:

I like the bike a lot too. I'm 6'4" and find the riding position a bit awkward but geeting used to it. Still searching for someone with a DL1000 willing to trade seats.

I get my filters at a friends part store in Vancouver and the price is not bad, $ 6.50 for the Purolator (ML16818).

Just did my first oil change at 856 KM and had a hard time removing the factory filter. It was impossible to tighten more than one turn after gasket contact (manual says two turns).

I know the experts are going to disagree but I already switched to synthetic (Amsoil 10W-40). The bike runs much smoother and shifts better too. My mileage so far is 55MPG (66 MPG in Canada) and that's riding with two up all the time.

I did not follow the manual's instruction for the break in period and have been to 10.000 RPM a few times (indicated 200 Kmh), not bad for a 650 cc bike.
rolleyes.gif

[ June 20, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: highmiler ]

Have you tried non-automotive brands like Vesrah or Emgo, you can mail order them from Dennis Kirk.

-T

T-Keith:

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am aware of other brands. I have a list of about 10 different brands, Emgo and Vesrah among them.

I will try several different brands and see if there is a noticeable difference in future oil analysis results. I'll make sure to post the data.

quote:

Originally posted by KW:

I use the SMF109 in our Suzuki SV 650. Although I'm a bit biased I've had no problems so far. (Only 1,000 miles) [/QUOTE]

You better get to riding. My TLS has been seeing alot of miles lately. [/QB][/QUOTE]

It's technically not my bike. It's my wifes. I ride it just enough to keep the battery charged. I'd rather ride my Sprint Anyday. The SV is underpowered for my tastes. It's not a slow bike by any means but compared to the Sprints turbine like power band.

If it were me I would have an SV1000 along with 10 other bikes. But for now I'll keep the sprint.

quote:

Binmonkey:

I know the experts are going to disagree but I already switched to synthetic (Amsoil 10W-40). The bike runs much smoother and shifts better too. My mileage so far is 55MPG (66 MPG in Canada) and that's riding with two up all the time.

Actually the SV engine breaks in pretty quickly. It would be no problem to change over to Syn at the 600 mile service. Reason being the SV has Steel cylinders. Other bikes like BMW twins have a nikasil coating on the cylinders and they take forever to break in. Typically 6,000-10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back