Guidance Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 BMW R1150R. From reading the message boards, it seems that BMW can be anal about the "voided warranty" syndrome. From my manual, here it what it says can be used for oil,"Brand-name HD oil, API classification SF, SG or SH; the suffixes CD or CE are permitted; or brand-name HD oil of CCMC classification G4 or G5; the suffix PD2 is permitted"

I don't care to pay 10/quart or more. At this point, the only thing I can find that matches any of the classificatons in a synthetic is Valvoline Synpower which has the "CD" suffix. Even some of the dino's show SG, SH on the front, but on the back with the API circle is shown SL I seem to remember.

This is why i am convinced you shouldn't use a SL oil in any bike. It must b missing something the old SF thru SH oil have. And this is from a 2002 model. My 2002 Honda says SF to SG oil is to be used.

BMW will also tell you if you don't use their wax, the warrenty is void. Seems like the "ideals of the Furher" are living strong at some BMW dealers. Good product, but I believe the folks at Honda still kick their arsh!! Note that Golden Spectro makes BMW-labelled oils. You could use their brand as well. I would personally use Amsoil in the 20W50 flavor. Many BMW riders I know use the same with nary a problem.

quote:

Originally posted by R1150R:
I don't care to pay 10/quart or more. At this point, the only thing I can find that matches any of the classificatons in a synthetic is Valvoline Synpower which has the "CD" suffix. Even some of the dino's show SG, SH on the front, but on the back with the API circle is shown SL I seem to remember.

So what are you asking for a recommendation or what?

who is charging you $10 a quart? I don't think the BMW stuff is that high, maybe $3.50 or so for the dino oil. (Which is pretty good BTW)

If you want more protection, find a good synthetic "motorcycle" oil. Even the Harley Davidson stuff will work well.

In my 99 Roadster I ran Amsoil 10w40 at 9400 mile intervals and the oil held up find according to the oil analysis. I put 30,000 on the bike and it ran great(except for some minor surging)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back