Polaris atp oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm a new guy to this awesome site. Can you help? We have a 2004 Polaris ATP 330. They recommend their 0w-40 weight oil only. We will only be riding this in the summer months which have a temperature range of say, 45 to 100 degrees plus. I just did it's first oil change (15 hours) and used Redline 10w40. My reasoning is, I don't need protection to -40, so I feel this would be OK. Does this sit well with you guys or am I overlooking something? Also, I replaced the OEM Polaris filter with a WIX. The OEM has a thimble looking thingee down in the bottom of it and the WIX has the spring towards the top (open) end of it. Is this a problem, I'm kinda weird about this stuff. Always use the Fleetguard Statopore on my Cummins (perfect analysis at 294,000)with Delo 400 15-40. I want the best for the little beast also. Any thoughts will be appreciated, good or bad. I have never used synthetic motor oil before, only the gear stuff, which really impressed me. Thank you, Jim

You can do what you want, but the Polaris oil and filters are of high quality and I would use them while still under warranty.

I agree with Brett. I have used both Polaris and Amsoil 0W40 with a Polaris filter. I know a lot of people use the Wix or Napa filters on them, but know the Polaris one is made for the machine and they are only a couple bucks more. Most people only change the oil once a year anyway. I was told that once that the Polaris filters are made for these engines because they have run a very low oil pressure. I don't know if this is true or not. I don't believe everything I hear.

[ April 26, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: tmorris1 ]

Kinda off topic but you wouldn't believe the amount of cams my local dealer has replaced in these engines because people never changed their oil. They think the synthetic oil is fill for life. They do have some customers that have an incredible amount of hours on these same engines with proper maintenance.

I was told by a dealer that some of the 500's (I'm not sure if it was the 425's too) had cam problems from letting them idle too long. Evidently they didn't get enough oil too the top end at idle and would wear out the cam if idled too long. I have the Sportsman 400 and I know many people who have 500's and the ones I have seen are bullet proof. I just try not to let mine idle too much. I change my oil every spring and fall regardless of hours or miles.

Thanks Guys, I thought about this long and hard and you are right, who am I to try and out think the engineers! I don't mind the extra money. No way on the fill for life, it will be changed every Summer and Fall. It's really my Wife's, used for Search & Rescue. The low oil pressure makes sense, maybe part of their reasoning is based on that. I know how Hondas are put together, (quite well) but I haven't been inside a Robin yet. Honda still uses 10-30 dino, go figure. That's another thing that threw me a curve. Thank you all, Jim
smile.gif

FYI, The polaris engines in the 500 are Fuji engines. I believe Polaris has a stake in or is fully owned by Polaris though.

dogs,
The RL 10W-40 is an excellent choice. I use Amsoil 10W-40 in my Polaris, either is fine. You are correct about not needing extreme cold weather protection. A 10W-40 oil will take less of a beating than a 0W-40 because there is less of a viscosity spread. BTW, Polaris does not formulate motor oil, they just put their label on it.
I don't know much about the Wix filter; I use the Polaris oil filter, mainly because I haven't found an easily obtainable substitute for the SP 700.

You know, Fuji Heavy Industries owns Subaru and Robin Engines. I also think they built the Japanese Zero in WWII
confused.gif
Anyhow, I sort of think the 330 is a Robin. I asked the lady when we bought it, jokingly, if that was a Subaru motor and she replied, "Oh no, it's made by Polaris"! So, guys, I'm on my own as far as Oil and Filter. I didn't like the way the Wix filter "looked" so it's getting a Polaris filter made by God knows who, and I think I'll stick with the Redline oil. Maybe go down to the 5w40 motorcycle oil. If it doesn't work, only time will tell. Thank you guys for making me think. My Brain cell closes up once in a while.
smile.gif
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back