What oil for an oil using quad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know. The thing needs rings, valve guides, seals or all three. But I cant afford any major repairs right now.

It's a kawasaki Mojave 250cc 4-stroke. Needs Jaso-Ma oil.

What I have noticed. With Motul 10w-40 synthetic it uses 1/2 qt in 60 miles.

Same with Mobil one motorcycle oil.

With Amsoil 10w-40 Syn motorcycle oil it only uses 8-12 oz in 100 miles.

Should I try 20w-50? Do ya'll think it would slow the consumption some?

What about dino? I have some regular Valvoline 20w-50 car oil which has little or no wet clutch killing Moly.

Or just straight weight oil? Sae40? Would a straight weight last longer before it gets burned?

The recomended oils are 5w-30 10w-40 20w-40 and 20w-50.

I live in the desert so I'm not concerned with how well the oil flows at -44 deg.

You know, for all the talk of it, I've never had a problem using an oil with moly (As long as it was a non friction modified oil) in several wet clutch applications.

Has anyone else?
What oil were you using?

I'd suggest starting out with M1 15w-50...

I did have a problem once. I was using Torco oil which we know is loaded with Moly. This was over 2 years ago.

I would let the clutch out and the bike would not move for 3-5 seconds, then it would grab and take off.

I drained it and have been running Jaso-Ma oil since and have not had any clutch problems.

The amount of Moly in "Normal" car oil probly is not enough to affect the wetclutch.

I have seen lots of bikes and ATVs that slip when using a regular automotive oil, but then I have seen some that work fine. I question how long a clutch will last using regular automotive oil though.
I don't think it is going to matter what you run in that engine until you get it fixed. It sounds like you are using an awful lot of oil.

How may hours/miles do you have on this ATV? If it's relatively new, I would switch back to dino for a while until the rings and such breaking/seat.

New equipment can use excess oil until those parts "wear" in a bit. Once that excess consumption is over, then changing to a synthetic will help stop that "wear" in proceedure, and reduce oil consumption.

If it's an older vehicle, I would make sure there are no leaks, if there are none, a 20w50 should help reduce that consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
How may hours/miles do you have on this ATV? If it's relatively new, I would switch back to dino for a while until the rings and such breaking/seat.

New equipment can use excess oil until those parts "wear" in a bit. Once that excess consumption is over, then changing to a synthetic will help stop that "wear" in proceedure, and reduce oil consumption.

If it's an older vehicle, I would make sure there are no leaks, if there are none, a 20w50 should help reduce that consumption.

No leaks.

The quad has many,many hours of riding time. It's only 3 years old and I had to rebore the cyl and install an oversize piston already. I did not do a valve job...Only did piston work.

Since I rebuilt it 2 years ago It did not use any noticable amount of oil untill about 3 months ago.

It's on its 3rd set of rear tires that are almost bald and it's second set of fronts that are very bald.
I have replaced both sprockets and 2 O-ring chains..... Twice.

I'ts not uncommon for me to ride it 100 miles a day on weekends. Easily does 600-800 miles a month along with 10,000 rpm blasts at the sand dunes.

It's just time for rings and or a valve job but since I messed up on my taxes I can't spend the cash to fix it now. Carrying oil is a pita to say the least.

It's held up well for what it's been through.

I'm gonna try a thicker oil but I have not decided on a straight wt or a 20w/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back