Valvoline 4 stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked just fine in an old Yamaha 225 Moto-4. If I don't use a motorcycle oil without the friction modifiers I get bad clutch slippage. I'm sure there is better than this, but it works. What are you going to use it in?

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I just put the 20w50 into a little kid's atv.

Come on SBC...you should know better!
grin.gif

...Cause you're not the average everyday consumer who'll buy an oil just because of the picture on the bottle!

P.S. - I'm just giving you a hard time!
cheers.gif

[ April 24, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Actually jelly.........The ATV calls for a 20w50 oil. It was the cheapest 20w50 wet clutch compatible oil that I could find on short notice.
frown.gif
If the atv called for a 40 weight......I would have used something else.
wink.gif

quote:

Actually jelly.........The ATV calls for a 20w50 oil. It was the cheapest 20w50 wet clutch compatible oil that I could find on short notice.
frown.gif
If the atv called for a 40 weight......I would have used something else.
wink.gif

What ATV is it?

You don't think any mineral based 20w-50 PCEO on the shelf is wet-clutch compatible?

Its some cheap little foreign atv, and I can't even recall the manufacturer. I know that moly can mess with a wet-clutch, and valvoline is the only OTC PCMO that I can think of that doesn't use moly. I didn't think that valvoline all-climate would have the ZDDP necessary to protect a MC type engine, so I chose a motorcycle oil. I will break the engine in with a mineral, then switch to a synthetic. Maybe M1 15w50.
dunno.gif

quote:

You don't think any mineral based 20w-50 PCEO on the shelf is wet-clutch compatible?

I think this is somewhat machine dependent, but I have seen ATVs and bikes that slip like crazy with any kind automotive oil, but then again some seem to work fine. The motorcycle/atv oil is not all smoke and mirrors as many think.

quote:

Has anybody used this oil? If so, how did it work for you? Anything noticeable in its performance?

Filled my CBR 600 Hurricane last year and will be drained/refilled with same this year as well;maybe will do an UOA too. This is the 20w50 JASO motorcyle oil, $2.99 quart at AutoZone.

Motor/clutch seems to function normal. I did have a tough clutch engagement after my 2 nephews took turns learning how to ride around the neighborhood for extended period
rolleyes.gif
but I guess that can be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back