Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 for my ATV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Eiger 4x4 auto tranny and have only used Zuki 10w40 dino oil. Most of my riding is 5-10 mph on trails with frequent stops. Would Rotella T synthetic 5w40 be sufficient for the hot and humid SC summers for this type of riding or should I go with Mobil 1 15w50 (red cap)? Thanks for the feedback!

Either one will be better than the Suzuki oil. I haven't seen any good results from Suzuki oil, 4 or 2 stroke.
Personally, I'd use the Rotella just because it's cheaper(I think) and available most anywhere.
If you find the oil-cooler fan coming on a lot during summer riding, I'd use the 15w50 Mobil 1.

How often do you change the oil?Someone mentioned an atv that called for an oil change every 100 miles.
shocked.gif

If you change it often enough,probably run a dino oil since it's cheaper.

quote:

Originally posted by jafo:
How often do you change the oil?Someone mentioned an atv that called for an oil change every 100 miles.
shocked.gif

If you change it often enough,probably run a dino oil since it's cheaper.

My Suzuki manual calls for oil changes every 1200 miles or 6 months. Mine will be every 6 months since I only ride about 200 miles a year
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Back40:
I have a 2002 Eiger 4x4 auto tranny and have only used Zuki 10w40 dino oil. Most of my riding is 5-10 mph on trails with frequent stops. Would Rotella T synthetic 5w40 be sufficient for the hot and humid SC summers for this type of riding or should I go with Mobil 1 15w50 (red cap)? Thanks for the feedback!

I'd definitely go with M1 15w-50...it's an excellent oil and the only widely-available PCEO I recommend.

I have a 2001 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4 (ES350).

Up to this year I ran 10W-40 synthetic (Amsoil) but this year went to 20W-50 synthetic. All my riding is at temps over 40°F and according to Honda Service Manual (just found one) its OK to use. I would think 20W-50 would be the best choice for hard working engine in hot temps. I would not use anything less. If yours is anything like mine, it seems to run hot when it idles and using a good synthetic oil might be a wise choice if you intend to keep the machine for a long time.

High-temperature operations often lead to the thermal degradation and oxidation of conventional oils, which leads to the formation of deposits, sludge and varnish. Synthetic oil withstands thermal degradation and oxidation at higher temperatures than conventional oils do, ensuring clean, dependable performance in high-stress, high-temperature operations. Especially in air-cooled engines.

I change once a year which is about 250 miles more or less. Last year I hardly rode it any great distances but used it often so that last oil change was in 2002, just forgot about it as I had other things to worry about.

I highly doubt the need to change every 6 months on a rarely used machine if u use a good oil.

btw-Local ATV dealer will install any lubricant you want. The sell them all including Amsoil which they have sold and raced for many years.

[ April 18, 2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back