why not 15w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are there no 15w-40 MC oils? Is this telling us something? If 15w-40 is better than 10w-40 (less vis improvers) Why are ther so many 10w-40's?

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
Why are there no 15w-40 MC oils? Is this telling us something? If 15w-40 is better than 10w-40 (less vis improvers) Why are ther so many 10w-40's?

Because the manufactures usually specify 10w40 or 20w50.

On that note, I have used Amsoils 15w40 diesel oil with great success. The formulation is exactly the same as the 10w40(except base stock) and it less expensive to boot.) Really the 15w40 is the best value in synthetic on the market.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
Why are there no 15w-40 MC oils? Is this telling us something? If 15w-40 is better than 10w-40 (less vis improvers) Why are there so many 10w-40's?

I've used Delvac 15W-40 in motorcycles since the 1980s, well before using 15W-40 in gas engines became a fad.

If it bothers you that it isn't called a MC oil by mobil, print a picture of a motorcycle and pout it on the container and send me $3 per quart after you pay for it to raise it to MC oil price.
smile.gif

Delvac Super 1300 15W-40 has high zinc and is rated for wet cluches and transmissions per Allison C4. The other brand name 15W-40 oils seem to be about the same quality.

15W-40 came about because heavy duty diesels needed a multi-vis oil and the 10W-40 dino oils of the 1980s wouldn't hold up in a HD diesel. Particularly high performance Detroit diesel 2-strokes.

This is a real good question and one I've been thinking about for some time...I would like to try 2 qt. of Penz LL 15-40 with 1 qt. of M1 15-50 in my Harley Evo ...all the cleaning and wear properties seem very good...what do you think ?

I would stay away from Pennzoil in a bike. I think it has moly in it. It should be ok in a Harley, because you should have a dry clutch???

Jelly said that the Penz LL 15-40 would work very in my application and thinking about it for a month I think he's right....so I'm going to do it with the next change...was just wondering about the 40 wt. on the crank bearings under stress...but if I add a qt. of 15-50 M1 I think I'll be ok..

The Penz works well for me. I use it in my GS1100 Air cooled bike with no problems. It is my 'winter oil' and used at temps below 90 degrees, above that I use Castrol 20w-50. Both great oils.

I use Mobil 1 15W50 in my 97 Honda Magna and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. My bike has a wet clutch and it has never slipped or chattered. This bike makes about 82 RWHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back