An observation I've made...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that many motorcyclists change their oil way too frequently. It seems that there's this saying that goes something like, "Why would you hesitate spending $50 on an oil change for an $8000 bike?"

I've seen many bikers (especially sport bikers) changing their oil with full synthetics at anywhere between 800-2000 miles intervals. One person on another forum even complained, "I use Mobil 1 MX4T at 9 dollars a quart it's not cheap every 1000 miles".
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

I guess miseducation makes the oil companies rich. How often do you all change the oil in your bikes? I go 2,500-3,000 miles on full synthetics because my bike sees very high rpm's every day (I'm surprised I haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet, fingers crossed...) and sometimes even redline.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:
I've noticed that many motorcyclists change their oil way too frequently.

This guy did not change frequent enough
tongue.gif

1800 miles and the 20w-50 dino is now a 30wt
shocked.gif
And thats on a motor not sharing a oil killing gear box .

I try to tell my real life friends that ride about stuff of this nature but they no listen so much .

20w-50 gets crushed

I'm sure Mobil 1, either MX4T or 15w-50, has better shear stability than that.

Edit: I just realized that was Castrol GTX High Mileage in your link. Is that even a motorcycle specific oil? Besides, this is also a Harley we're talking about. It was also, apprently, ridden extremely hard and often two-up.

[ March 25, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Blue636 ]

My liquid-cooled V4 gets a change every 2500-3000 miles. The one exception was a 7400 mile trip.

The old air-cooled junker (CL350K4) gets a change every 1000 miles. It seems to be very tough on oil. I may do a UOA on it next time just to horrify us.

I change the oil in my bikes about every 6 months or every 3-4K. My drag bike would see an oil change every 6 months or when I smoked the clutch. I have a fresh case of Amsoil 10W40 and I'm going to shoot for annual oil changes.

I've seen guys drain their oil at stupid OCI's like after a weekend ride. This makes me want to grab the stuff and sift it through a coffee filter and use it in one of my bikes.

I also change it at about 3k miles myself, that would be every other month or sometimes even 2-1/2 months. I ride quite often.

I don't understand those crazy OCI's like KW said. These guys are nuts!

My manual says to change my oil on my honda 929 at like 8k miles. I change my oil in the spring and fall for sure but usually put on a bout 5k miles inbetween the two seasons so maybe even a change mid summer, not sure.

I can't see how the manual can say 8k with dino oil???

quote:

Originally posted by trey:
I can't see how the manual can say 8k with dino oil???

Maybe to most, mechanically un-inclined folks, it sounds enticing. Just like the awesome 27k intervals for valve clearance checks on some bikes.

I think 1000 miles changes are a bit much. My old kz (used mostly for touring) went 3000 max on good ol castrol gtx 20w50. you could always tell when you were due for a change due to mileage falling off about 30 percent (usually about 2700 miles). The valvoline racing 20w50 held up a little better. I used red cap once (pre tri-syn) and never saw the mileage drop off. Funny thing about that stuff was that it didn't start performing well till you ran a couple of thousand on it. Sold the bike after that. Will probably go with the red cap on my soon to be acquired kz1000Police. Ok Sorry about the reminiscing, but point is good dino can go about 3000 if you don't drive it like you stole it.
cheers.gif

I change the oil and filter in my atv that lives in the dust every 250 miles or so (my guess, no speedo)

My friend has a 99' Honda 400EX quad and the owners manual says to change the oil every 100 miles!

Quads are possibly different because of their exposure to dust, dirt, and the elements.

Dustyjoe, I'm currently using the "Red Cap" in my EX500 now. When I get it up to 3k or 3,500 miles I'll post an analysis just in case anyone is remotely interested.

I run Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic and I change it once a year or at 8,000 miles. Thats the interval recommended by Honda for my Magna. I've heard from other owners of Magnas that have had UOAs done and the oil is fine at 8K. I have not done one myself, but want to this year.

quote:

Originally posted by madmagrider:
I run Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic and I change it once a year or at 8,000 miles. Thats the interval recommended by Honda for my Magna. I've heard from other owners of Magnas that have had UOAs done and the oil is fine at 8K. I have not done one myself, but want to this year.

Let us know how it goes.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:

quote:

Originally posted by madmagrider:

Let us know how it goes.

I am trying to decide on a synthetic for may Suzuki Eiger 4x4 auto quad and the red cap is on the list along with Rotella T and Delvac. I may go with Amsoil or MX4T if I can't get some feedback on the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back