Honda ATV oil non-molly spec'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too sure where this belongs. If it need to go to another forum then someone take a guess and move it to the one it belongs in.

It's come time to change the oil on our 01 honda rancher ATV. The manual recomends a 10w40 oil. I was interested to try a lower cold viscostity since it gets a lot of starts in sub zero weather since it is primarily transportation to a hunting spot.

The manual also say to not use any oil that contains molybdenum. I assume this means any/all varations of molly. I believe this had to do with the transmission clutch pack. It has the electronic shift option.

What would you guys recomend for an oil? I was tempted to try Mobil 1 but it does contain a bit of molly from the VOA's I have seen.

I'm also interested for my 85 ATC200. Would the Quakerstate or Valvoline ATV oil be a good bet? How about the Mobil 1 stuff?

-T

Amsoil 0W40 Four Stroke oil for Motorcycles and ATVs or M1 10W40 Motorcycle oil. Both have no friction modifiers and will work with your clutch.

quote:

No worries about FMs in a shared engine/transmission /clutch oil?

Yes there is, but it doesn't seem to affect all bikes the same. I have seen some that will slip very bad and some that will work fine. For an extra couple dollars an oil change I would use a motorcycle or atv specific oil without the friction modifiers to be safe.

quote:

Originally posted by roadrunner@rps:
Not too sure where this belongs. If it need to go to another forum then someone take a guess and move it to the one it belongs in.

It's come time to change the oil on our 01 honda rancher ATV. The manual recomends a 10w40 oil. I was interested to try a lower cold viscostity since it gets a lot of starts in sub zero weather since it is primarily transportation to a hunting spot.

The manual also say to not use any oil that contains molybdenum. I assume this means any/all varations of molly. I believe this had to do with the transmission clutch pack. It has the electronic shift option.

What would you guys recomend for an oil? I was tempted to try Mobil 1 but it does contain a bit of molly from the VOA's I have seen.

Go over to Wally-World and pick up some Rotella-T 5w-40. You really can't do much better in terms of engine protection and cleanliness for this engine, and the $12/gallon price tag and local availability makes the deal that much sweeter...

KW or Jelly. Can you answer the question I posted earlier? What advantage does Rotella or any Diesel oil have over motorcycle specific oil? Shouldn't we be concerned over the clutches? Price is not really too much an issue, since they only take about 1 quart.

-T

My concern is still clutch slippage with the FM oil. You might not feel it it right away, but I think that over time it will wear the clutches out sooner than normal. If you are only buying a qt or 2, then just get the M1 or Amsoil motorcycle/Atv oil for $6. If anyone can't afford $6 in oil for a $5000 machine they shouldn't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back