opinions on MC specific oil brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are quite a few companies that specifically target bikes, what are the general opinions on these.
i am going to list as many as i can think of including 2 stroke oils. i know there are bigger compainies that sell mc oils (like amsoil and mobil) but i am listing the compaines that specifically target mc.
bel-ray
maxima
motul
golden spectro
silkolene
blendzall
hondaline
yamalube
suzuki cci
klotz
PJ1
any others?

If were going for OEM brands as well (yam,honda) how about Harley Davidson. Although they recommend Harleys only this oil should do fine in any other needing a 20W50 50 or 60 weight.

what are your opinions on them. which are real synthetics, horror stories, success stories, etc...
i used yamalube because the local dealer had it. then i moved and bel-ray or maxima were available. i never had any problems with those as premix piston scuffing and ring wear were minimal. i am currently using hondaline to break in my new bike then will switch to synthetic.
Motorex, ELF, and AGIP are pretty rare here but i'd love to hear more about them.

torco has been around forever,used it in my maico dirt bikes. currently, i use kawachem 10w40 dino in my street bike,refined by citco oil co. honda & suzuki,yamaha oils are also refined here in the states. in my previous bandit 1200, i used castrol actevo.. just watch out for anything friction modified.

this is the type of info i wanted to hear. i am amazed that small specialty companies can't blend oil as good as companies that have their fingers in all vheicles.

‘Motor Cycle News’ has done a few oil comparisons. Most M/C specific oils aren’t anything to get excited about.

Belray turned out some good numbers as well as Silkolene.

Torco, Motul, Spectro were midpack performers. Dino Rotella falls in this group.

PJ1, Klotz, Honda were under performers.

By far, the best oils tested were Redline, Amsoil and Mobil MX4T.

My personal experiences with oils have been:

Suzuki 2-stroke oil The crank bearings were shot after one season of racing a new RM250.
Maxima 927 The crank was fine and the power valve/exhaust ports were much cleaner after another season on the same RM250 after rebuild.
Golden Spectro 2-stroke O.K. oil but it left heavy deposits on piston top and power valve.
Mobil 1 MX2T Engine shows very little wear and it burns very clean. For the money, you can't beat this oil for a 2-stroke.

Golden Spectro and Honda HP4, 10W40 I thought both these oils were good until the analysis came back showing both sheared down to 30W after 1,000 miles.
Motul and Mobil 1 MX4T Excellent oils. Motul was used in a race bike for a season and there was no wear on the valve train at all.
Rotella T 5W40 synth. It's working great in my street bike w/K&N oil filters. Analysis results have been excellent.

Originally posted by mcmech:

Motul and Mobil 1 MX4T Excellent oils. Motul was used in a race bike for a season and there was no wear on the valve train at all.

Which Motul?
confused.gif

I didn't know much about Silkolene and looked for some the other day... $10.99/quart for full synth!!! Can someone please justify that? I mean, MX4T isn't horrible and it's at least $3-$4 cheaper than Silkolene.

On a triumph form an Aussie posted specs for a M1 15W 50 (they sell MX4T in 3 grades) and its funny how it is almost Exactly same specs as our 'red cap'
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:

Motorex, ELF, and AGIP are pretty rare here but i'd love to hear more about them.

You can get the Motorex at all the KTM dealers now and it's the oil used in the Yoshimura Superbikes .

Motorcycle specific dino oils really are better than dino car oils in the long term . Most have double or more zinc/phos and a distinctive gear oil smell " sulphur " thats not seen through analysis .

The problem is in the markup price . But some have to make a little money to pay their employees and feed their kids right ?
patriot.gif

I buy Maxima Synthetic at 22.50 for a 4 liter jug
Motul E-Tech 100 Synthetic 10w-40 5.10 a liter-price just went up from 4.90
The Motul 300 4T dino is only 10.35 a gallon

As example in car oil vs MC dino the Motul uses double the phos/zinc and boron that Castrol GTX 10w-40 has . Also adds to better protect the gears thats not seen through analysis .It uses a superior vi index improver and little of it . The vi @ 40c is quite a bit higher in the MC oils .

Motorcycle shifters will analise the oil for you to an extent . Excluding most of the Honda's which are rather notchy , the shiftability
smile.gif
starts deteriorating at around 1k miles with low cost 10w-40 dinos in most bikes .

I've seen GTX 20w-50 at a 30wt in a friends bike when analised at 2600 miles .... he did not like the thought of a 30wt in his motor so he switched to a better oil .

The HD Diesel 15w-40's are not any better in this respect . Mobil Delvac 1300S sheared 2 full cSt's in I think 2600 miles in a somewhat low performance inline 4 cylinder bike compared to most high strung motors made today .

Some of these HD Diesel oils will not meet the Navistar Foam Sequence test criteria ...carefull with your selection there .

Compare the data sheet of the Castrol ACT-EVO 4T 20-50 dino which has an ester to the GTX 20w-50 dino

ACT EVO API SG
vi @ 40c 171
Vi @ 100c 18.7
HT/HS 4.8
Shear stability ' KV loss @ 100c ' 10
Volatility % 6.2

EDIT:

I lost my GTX data sheet ... I'll ask Patman to some to the rescue and post it later .

In the meantime here is a MC specific 5-40 synthetic race oil .... you'll not find a street car or suv 5-40 capable of running a endurance race without burning off alot of oil and reducing friction of the amount equal to say 5hp . Even a 1 second per lap advantage adds up in shorter 8 lap sprints or 4 hour endurance races .

They can run all those bench tests they want , it's the real world that counts and for racers it's not all about the lowest wear numbers . It's all about a motor oil that will not shear , burn off , window the motor resulting in a DNF and costly repairs .

VI 40c 80
vi 100c 13.0
HT/HS 3.9
Shear Stability " KV Loss " 0.1
wink.gif

Volatility 5.0
Flash Point 208c
TBN 8.3
API SG

[ March 18, 2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
there are quite a few companies that specifically target bikes, what are the general opinions on these.
i am going to list as many as i can think of including 2 stroke oils. i know there are bigger compainies that sell mc oils (like amsoil and mobil) but i am listing the compaines that specifically target mc.
bel-ray
maxima
motul
golden spectro
silkolene
blendzall
hondaline
yamalube
suzuki cci
klotz
PJ1
any others?

My personal opinion is that if you use a full synthetic that is not energy conserving (such as mobil 1 15w50 red cap) in a wet clutch bike you will have no extra wear, no clutch slippage and will spend half the price. I have never, and will never, pay twice the price for repackaged auto oil. I have heard multiple stories of guys using non-energy conserving synthetic auto oils in their bikes with normal UOAs after recommended drain intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back