Rev bike before switching off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been revving up my 125cc 4-cycle motorbike (in neutral) before switching off the ignition when putting it away for the night. It just seems that practice might encourage more oil up into the cylinder top and reduce the possibility of "dry" operation a day or a week later when I start up again. Is my reasoning valid, or am I doing something I shouldn't be? Thanx for any tips.

No, When you rev an engine with no load it actualy wipes oil off of the rings! THe Rpms climb faster then the oil pressure under no load and it falls off as you release the throttle even though the parts are still spining very quickly! You are not doing your bike any favors at all! You are also loading the oil and cylinder walls with excessive fuel!

I'm right with John on this on...don't rev!

If you're concerned with preventing start-up wear over periods of time, I'd strongly suggest picking an oil with molybdenum in the additive package and good cold pumping specs.

A fluid film in the top-end of the engine is minimal at best on startup, and having a film lubricant, such as molybendum, with prevent a great deal of metal-on-metal wear, and picking an oil with a low viscosity on "the bottom end" will aid in establishing a fluid film quickly.

[ February 26, 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I agree you don't need to rev the bike up before switching it off. Only maybe if it was a two stroke to clear the plug/plugs. I'd stay clear of oils with Moly in it if it were me. Large doses of Moly and wet clutches don't get along well.

yeah, as honda found out with their hp4 semi synth, causing clutch slip. now they offer it with no moly..
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back