M1 5w-40 in a motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie, although I have been reading this forum for a little over a year, so please bear this in mind (be gentle)...

I have a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S (motorcycle, but using a car oil so unsure of proper location)
1 liter, V-twin, water cooled, shared sump with tranny, and wet clutch.
OE recomends 10W-40
Currently using Rotella T synth 5W-40, but worried about shear stability since its not a true synth. Doing 2000 mi intervals, but would like to go out to 4000 (I know I should use a UOA)

I know from reading all the wonderful posts on hear that a conventional 10W-40 would die (shear) rather quickly in a shared sump application.

I also know that todays energy conserving motor oils can cause problems with a wet clutch due to friction modifiers.

I want an oil I can get easily when I grab my car oil at the local X-mart (rotella T synth in car)

What I am getting to is...since M1 5-40 is rated for diesel engines, I recall that one of the diesel specs is for use with wet clutches. If someone could confirm that spec is on the label, and is not energy conserving, I think I will have found the perfect oil to use in my bike!!! What do you all think?

welcome aboard!

I'm going to move this to the motorcycle section though, where it'll get more attention.

I haven't used 5w40 in a motorcycle before.

I've been using Mobil1 15w50 for about 3 years now. Never had a problem.

The one time I did try a 5w oil (5w30 Mobil1 on accident) I ruined that oil and had very hard shifting after about 200 miles. That's what happens when you're not paying attention at walmart. =)

I know about using M1 15-50, but I ride year around down to 32F or so. I have 5W-40 in there right now in the Rotella synth version with no shifting problems, etc...but want a full synth.

How did you ruin a 5w-30?

How did I ruin the 5w30? Dunno. I'd have to say all that 12k rpm riding.

It was really nice there at first, but then I could barely shift. Would make awful noises. When I drained it out it was black and smelled burnt.

The reason why some have problems & some don't is clutch material. sintered metal are prone while organic(example-cork) do not. My Triumph triple only specifies SH synt.,no mention of Jasco-ma, so i run 'red cap' which is also the rec. wieght.PS the HT/HS for 'red cap is slightly higer than Amsoils MC oil, IMO it must be good.
canada.gif
cheers.gif
burnout.gif

The gears in the transmission can be really hard on oil.

I notice the same thing(hard shifting) on my Triumph when I ran Delo 15w40. This was after about 1500 miles. I switched to Amsoil Semi-syn and ran it about 3000. The shifting stayed good the entire time.

I would advise against the 5w40 in your SV.

quote:

Originally posted by DriveHard:
I want an oil I can get easily when I grab my car oil at the local X-mart (rotella T synth in car)

Mobil 1 15w50 would be my choice! There are many folks that run this with a wet clutch with absolutly no problems.

msparks - why would you advise against the M1 5w-40?

From reading on here it seems pretty obvious that M1 5W-40 is indeed Delvac 1, which seems to be one of the most respected oils on here (getting flame suit on). I am still conviced that it would be a great choice for my bike, and would love some good reasons why it wouldn't be.

While I know M1 15w-50 is a good choice, when I used it in my GSX1100F I swore I could feel a power loss, and while my clutch did not slip, it did change the feel of it. For those reasons I would feel better staying away from it for now. (I know I am being a little silly about this, but hey, what is this place for)

quote:

msparks - why would you advise against the M1 5w-40?

From reading on here it seems pretty obvious that M1 5W-40 is indeed Delvac 1,

Because in a bike I would bet it will shear pretty fast. I guess you could do an oil anlaysis on the stuff to be sure the viscosity stays in check. I would just prefer a 10 or 15 starting vis as opposed to a 5. I've ridden down 20 degreeF with my bikes and have had no problems starting.

10w40 or 15w40 would be the best for this bike.

quote:

I have a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S (motorcycle, but using a car oil so unsure of proper location)
1 liter, V-twin, water cooled, shared sump with tranny, and wet clutch.
OE recomends 10W-40

BTW, I have a 2003 SV650s. and I will be running Amsoil 10w40 in this after the break in. I now am on Delo 400 for the next 1500 miles. At 2,000 on the bike I will go with Amsoil's 15w40 Semi-synthetic diesel for 3000 miles then go to Amsoil full synthetic at 5000.

I just got a 04 Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom last week (just 300 miles) and I am also using a conventional 10W-40 oil. IMHO a 5W oil is too thin for a motorcycle.

msparks: How soon do you think a full synthetic can be used? The plan is to use Amsoil 10W-40 (motorcycle oil). Temperatures here never exceed 35º Celsius, about 95º Fahrenheit.

I'm using Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) in both my 01 Echo and my 98 K1500 with outstanding results.

[ May 17, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: highmiler ]

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:

msparks: How soon do you think a full synthetic can be used? The plan is to use Amsoil 10W-40 (motorcycle oil). Temperatures here never exceed 35º Celsius, about 95º Fahrenheit.

From what I understand, the SV uses Iron Cylinders and they break in pretty fast. I would say you could easily change over at 2000-3000(bascially 1 run on dino after the first 600 mile service)

Amsoil 10w40 is perfect in this application

That's what I thought. Thanks for the advice.
Actually, first service is at 1600 kms or 1000 miles. I will wait until 3k and switch over.
As soon as I get the analysis results they will be posted here.

I'll pipe in and recommend Mobil 1 15w50 "red cap" like the others have done. I'm running this in my '99 Magna VF750 and getting great results. Recently posted my 2nd UOA on this oil, 1 year and 5,000 miles later it's still looking good.

Delvac 1 has slightly higher ash levels than what JASO requires, 1.35% vs 1.2%.

I'm not sure if you would get more deposits or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back