great biker build off

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Discovery channel Billy Lane had a biker build off with someone else. Right before he started his new engine, he said he has to add the fluids and he will be ready to go. They showed him adding Castrol GTX with a red label (i think 20w-50). Shouldn't he be using a motorcycle oil? For wet clutches?

No. I uise the same Castrol, have for many years. As long as it is not an 'Energy conserving' oil, I.E. with the starburst symbol in the front (usually only in the 30w and below ranges), than it will work just fine.

But on the Castrol website, they say not to use any SJ, or SL oils in bikes. They are not the same as the old SH oils. Motorcycles oils are all SH or lower.

I don't know if one is more suitable than the other but remember Castrol has a whole line of bike oils they would rather sell you.

They just showed him pouring it into a funnel while Billy looked over the bike at the camera.

I did not see the show but I would imagine that he was putting it in the motor. Most of the people still using dino oil have not caught on to the new Harley trends of synthetic and 20W50 in all oil resevoirs. If he is using a dino 20W50 in the crankcase he is likely using dino primary and tranny specific fluids respectively.

I just saw in a MC magazine that Bel-Ray is sponsoring Billy Lane. So now you will probably see this oil on his shows.

offtopic.gif
Billy didn't strike me as the most technically minded bike builder. He seemed more of a frabricator/artist. Two of his bikes had serious flaws which were easily catchable in the design stage. The exhaust built into the rear fender was one memorable one.
lol.gif
HOT and restrictive. The kickstart knucklehead with two large carbs and magneto ignition was another.

With break-in oil it is ok to use a dino car 20w50 as you will be draining it out in a short enough time. I personally would switch to a high quality synthetic after the break-in but many prefer to use dino.

[ April 10, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: wulimaster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back