Sludge in my oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2004 Kawasaki EX500 (which I purchased last August) needed a new oil pan about a week before Christams. Anyway, I didn't get an oil pan until about 3 weeks ago so it sat for quite some time. When I installed the oil pan I filled it with Shell Rotella T like I usually do and I rode it for about 500 miles before changing it. I changed it because the pan was used, although in great condition, and the bike sat for a while so I just wanted to get dirt and other crap out of it. After draining the oil and adding new oil in (Motul Synthetic Blend... probably what I'll stick with from now on) I poured my oil into the empty Rotella container and I noticed at the bottom of the oil-catch container there was a little bit of black sludge. Does anyone know what this might be?

I would not worry. It could be factory assembly lube caught by the filter and drained back into the motor while it set . Or is that a spin-on ? Doubtfull it was caused by moisture or actual sludge since the bikes is new .

Caught you jumping curbs though huh ?
smile.gif

I hope you're right. The bike was bought in August of 2003 and has a little over 4000 miles on it. I've never seen it on any of the previous 2 oil changes.

Thanks. I figured that the "Advanced Soot Control" of the Rotella T was doing what other oils could not do, that is cleaning stuff up and getting the dirt out.

I agree with Motorbike, it's most likely clutch material that has collected in the botton of the pan. Both the Rotella T dino and syn make for great bike oil.

Thanks. I believe you guys, but I'm wondering why it took about 4000 miles for this crud to come out. Any ideas?

takes that long for the clutch to start showing it's wear. I see that same stuff when i change motorcycle's oil too. It is most likely clutch band material.

Won't hurt a thing, it's normal clutch wear. The clutch will let you know when it's badly warn it will start slipping after around 20K or so. Some even go much further than that. Depends on your riding habits and all that stuff.

Thanks, KW. The first thing I thought was, "Great! I do NOT have the money to service a clutch right now!".

Anyhow, I'm sure that in another 2 months (about 3k miles) the oil will come out a little cleaner.

Yikes- if the clutch only lasts 20,000 something is wrong. Even so, the EX500 has a standard type clutch basket so changing the plates is a piece of cake (as opposed to an inverted basket which requires a special tool and a little more work).

No kidding... My old CBR 1000F had 6K miles on it when I got it, so most likely it was the original clutch. I put roughly 40k on it following that, and it was still on the same clutch, no slippage.

In fact, I've never put a new clutch into a bike. The Concours I bought from my dad has 81,000 miles on it, and its on its third clutch, but that's because the 2nd one he put in was defective and had to be replaced very quickly - a matter of months, I believe.

my big 20 year old Suzi 1100GK has 50k on the clock right now, on the original clutch. It should at least last that long unless you just aren't good using a clutch. plates are not that expensive to replace when the time comes, and easy to do, too. But teh 'sludge' you are seeing is due to the clutch band material wearing, and it is little cause for concern. Just change it regularly and the filter too, and ride on happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back