Amsoil s2k 20W-50 in Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Series 2000 20W-50 Oil and sent it out to my friend with a Harley. He has a 2003 Heritage Softtail classic. It has superate tanks for Oil, Tranny, and Chaincase.

Would it be okay to use the s2k in the motor? somebody was scaring me about how it can't have Friction Modifiers since it is a wet clutch design. But from my understanding the clutch oil is seperate from the engine oil in the big twins.

Can someone PLEASE enlighten me, i don't want my friend to blow his harley this season becuase of me
frown.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The 20w-50 is recommended for the engine/transmission, however the Amsoil 10w-40 would be the correct lube for the chaincase ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

Yes i had sold him Amsoil 10W-40 MOTORCYCLE Oil for the chaincase, and GearLube for the tranny.

I hope your right I wouldn't want him to blow up his engine
shocked.gif

I have been using Amsoil exclusively in all three of the oil resevoirs(AMV-motor,TGR-tranny,AMF-primary) on my 2002 HD Softail, and all my other engines for that matter. I run these toys really hard and have had no problems or even measureable oil consumption in my HD. With the Harley group II oils I would have to add up to a pint to the motor in only a few thousand miles, likely do to high summertime oil temps. The Amsoil 20W50 bike oil did not require any top up even in the hottest weather and with the fastest speeds. No clutch slip at all, my burn outs are still great with the 10W40 in the primary. I used to use 15W50 Mobil 1 for a while and no slipage with that either.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
I have been using Amsoil exclusively in all three of the oil resevoirs(AMV-motor,TGR-tranny,AMF-primary) on my 2002 HD Softail, and all my other engines for that matter. I run these toys really hard and have had no problems or even measureable oil consumption in my HD. With the Harley group II oils I would have to add up to a pint to the motor in only a few thousand miles, likely do to high summertime oil temps. The Amsoil 20W50 bike oil did not require any top up even in the hottest weather and with the fastest speeds. No clutch slip at all, my burn outs are still great with the 10W40 in the primary. I used to use 15W50 Mobil 1 for a while and no slipage with that either.

Thanks for the testimony hk33ka1, I gave him the following:

Series 2000 Synthetic 75W90 (AGR/TGR) in Trans.
10W-40 Synthetic MotorCycle Motor Oil in Chaincase

Now i know that the two above are good, but the question is weather or not Amsoil s2k 20W-50 is any worse than the V-Twin 20W-50 (AMV) in terms of protection?? If they are equal then i will just stick with the V-Twin oil since it is cheaper.

[ February 09, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Here is my take on it. For any normal type of use the AMV (bike oil) will do fine and much better than the petroleum bike oils out there. If you were gonna drag race the thing all the time then the racing oil might be the better choice. Basically either would work but the extra $$$ for the S2K race oil would not be warranted for most users.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
Here is my take on it. For any normal type of use the AMV (bike oil) will do fine and much better than the petroleum bike oils out there. If you were gonna drag race the thing all the time then the racing oil might be the better choice. Basically either would work but the extra $$$ for the S2K race oil would not be warranted for most users.

Ok thanks. I was getting scared that oil might blow up his harley since it isnt motorcycle approved
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back