Engine assembly lube for an atv

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing some parts in my atv. These parts are what makes it shift and are in the "sump" area.

I will need to use something on them during assembly and to prevent wear untill the oil gets splashed onto them.

The bike calls for jaso-ma oil. What can I use that won't have any negative effects on the wetclutch?

I have 2 kinds of assembly lube. One is a black greasy stuff that it loaded with Moly. The other is "Torco" engine assembly lube.

Would regular oil be ok to use or something else?

I would use some sort of assembly lube.

My Honda shop manual recommends mixing motor oil and Mo grease in 1:1 ratios for engine assembly lube.

For me, I use Redline assembly lube since I use Redline oil. I'm assuming they're are no compatibility issues.

Assembly lubes can be used just about anywhere. The only place I would use them is on the cylinder walls because I don't want it to gum up the rings - a bit of PB Blaster works wonders during reassembly. I usually use JIMS, but I'm sure the torco has got to be similar.

I use a lot of graphite on things I don't want to gum up. I figure the graphite containing oils are no help or worse. However, what about a good coat of graphite on parts before you assemble them?

I used the Torco engine assembly lube. Used just enough on some of the moving parts and rubber seals.

I filled the engine with

Drumroll please...................................................................................................

1/2 qt of havoline 10w30

1 qt of "Value tech" 5w-30

And 1/4 qt of Mobil-1 5w30.......pretty much whatever I had laying around and went for a 30 mile ride to test it out.

Trans works fine
smile.gif

As soon as I got home I drained the oil and changed the filter. Refilled it with 2 qts of Amsoil 10w-40 Amsoil that is jaso-ma certified.
cheers.gif

Chris142-Glad to hear its back in one peice and you're having fun on it again
smile.gif

I use a variety of assembly lubes and greases.

Motul Synthetic Motor Grease
Bel-Ray Assembly Paste
Redline Assembly Lube
Loctite (Permatex) Assembly Lube
Loctite Copper Grease
Permatex Anti-Seize
Honda M-60 Moly Paste (usually mixed with whatever oil I need for the application)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back